addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Denver Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › Children and Meetings

Children and Meetings

John
jcfiala
Group Organizer
Denver, CO
Post #: 157
Hi.

A few times, I get notices or see people asking if Children are allowed at the meetings. My general answer is, sure, if the kids are old enough.

Boardgames often require playing with small pieces, and sitting still for an hour or two. If you think your son or daughter can do that (or can sit nearby playing quietly), that's fine. Stella's Coffeehouse, where we're currently meeting, is often used by some students to study together (or alone) as well as to talk, so children who are likely to make a fuss wouldn't fit in very well. (I understand sometimes any child will act up or will cry out - that's fine.) I'm not going to point at an age and say 'That's too Young' - children differ all the time, and I figure you know your kids and how they behave better than I would.

If there's a desire for a meeting in a more child-friendly place and time, please suggest it! I've been trying to find a decent place to meet in town, and it can be difficult. It's quite possible to have more than one meetup each month, as well.

Just let me know!
John
jcfiala
Group Organizer
Denver, CO
Post #: 179
Since we're at a new location, I figured I should update this as well.

As it happens, the Wild Oats market has a small play area for small children, has a lot more space, and has no studying students nearby. As such, it's a lot more kid-friendly.
A former member
Post #: 8
Hi!

I love board games. I am divorced and I have my two daughters, aged 7 and 9, Saturday evening, starting at 5:30 PM and all day on Sunday. I would love to find some other lovers of board games who want to play on Wednesday or Thursday nights, when I am child-free.

As an alternative, is the current Sunday afternoon venue (Atlanta Bread Company?) child-friendly? Would a 7 and/or 9 year old find something interesting to do there while I play a game?

Perhaps some of the members in the group who have kids would be interested in getting together to play games at a child-friendly location? What about a community center? Maybe we can schedule a game where a different parent hosts at their home each session (to make it fair)?

Just thoughts. If you are in the same boat as me - having to care for your children during the time periods that people tend to play games - I would love to hear creative ideas on how to enjoy the hobby while still caring for the kiddos.

Thanks in advance!

- Brock
John
jcfiala
Group Organizer
Denver, CO
Post #: 494
As an alternative, is the current Sunday afternoon venue (Atlanta Bread Company?) child-friendly? Would a 7 and/or 9 year old find something interesting to do there while I play a game?

It's child friendly in that it's a restaurant which children can sit in, but if your kids aren't interested in either playing a simpler game or playing quietly, then they might have a bad time. I know that some of our attendees do bring children, although usually not until the 2pm start time. Nikki's got a young son, for instance, who plays.

A former member
Post #: 11
Thanks for the quick and useful reply, John!

Maybe I can bring the kids and some of their games and get them settled playing their own games while I play with the adults. I am a particular fan of two train-themed games, Empire Builder and Rail Baron. I am also interested in learning to play Settlers of Catan as I hear a lot of people are really into it and I want to see what it is all about.

I also enjoy simpler, classic games, such as Risk, Monopoly, and such. I also enjoy the Civilization board game.

- Brock