The Dive Club Message Board › Diving in and around Key West...

Diving in and around Key West...

Dan M. R.
DMR-Colorado
Littleton, CO
Post #: 5
I'll be in Miami and plan on driving to Key West in a couple of weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions of the dive scene there or along the way? Tips and Traps would be appreciated. Thanks!
Martina
user 9303375
Longmont, CO
Post #: 28
What kind of diving are you looking for? Be aware that all of the keys is very touristy and a lot of boat operators mix snorkel and dive trips. I have heard a story where the drops were pure snorkel drops in 10 ft. A lot of the good dive spots are quite a bit offshore.
I would recommend that you also look at dive operators between ft lauderdale and west palm beach. There are 2 reefs within a mile offshore there. 2nd reef is around 40 and 3rd reef is 50 on top to 80-100 at the bottom. I moved away a while ago and the recession caused quite a churn, so I am not sure who is currently good and in business.

p.s. Obviously the Keys have their own flair and the "apre diving" and "character viewing" there is an experience of its own. It all depends on how much time you have and what you want to experience.
Chad K.
user 71994692
Boulder, CO
Post #: 1
We've run any number of trips over the last seven years with Sea Dwellers in Key Largo, Dan. They've always had reasonable prices, work their tails off to find spots that aren't crowded with divers, and are pretty entertaining to boot. SeaDwellers.com is worth taking a look at. The'yre also on TripAdvisor.com. Feel free to give Ocean First Divers a ring if you want to pick some brains about Florida diving.