addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The EGL Message Board › June Notes

June Notes

A former member
Hey Gamers,

I am working hard to simplify my life this summer.  I want to do this so that I will have more time to enjoy games and the people that play them.  I hope to meet more of you in the upcoming week.  In order to facilitate a more focused response, I would love you to respond to the poll questions now found on our Meetup site.

A special thanks to Aaron that has collated gaming groups in the city and added the file to our site as well.

Until then,
Gordon
Matt C.
user 36594742
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
Hi Gordon,

I would have chosen "None of the Above" to both poll questions. But that wasn't an option! smile

Matt
A former member
On it. Good insight.
Joshua M.
user 13696042
San Francisco, CA
Hey Gordon,

I saw your poll. I answered 'none of the above'. In the event that it might be helpful, I will share with you what I look for in a gaming situation.

First and foremost I desire a friendly atmosphere. I play games to have fun. Part of that fun derives from engaging in the strategic challenges that board games provide, but much of it comes from sharing a good time with other human beings. Gaming becomes less fun for me when I feel like I am merely a tool for another person to exhibit their perceived cognitive prowess through besting me in a game. Behaviors that convey a friendly set of intentions are humor, fairness in game play (even at the expense of ones own position in a game), enthusiasm for the activity, and courtesy pertaining to various issues that are inherently present in any group activity. I want to feel welcome, and among friends (preferably friends with good hygiene:).

I am very enthusiastic about gaming, so having people around who are excited to play is always nice.

Also... whether I am hosting a game night, or attending another, I generally prefer to feel that there is a sense of shared responsibility for manifesting the communal experience. It bums me out when participants do not seem to have any ownership over the situation. This can be anything from bringing snacks to share, to showing up if you say you are going to, to actively trying to contribute to the friendly vibe outlined above.

Of course, being able to play games that I am interested in helps too. This is not usually an issue for me seeing as how I enjoy many different types of games. I also recognize that in the interest of accommodating diversity of taste, sometimes one needs to bend away from their preferences.

Hope that helps

Joshua

linda
lindaherbe
Montara, CA
Post #: 2
I would support any community event (charity, auction, 24 hour gaming, etc.) you decide to do.