align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo
Darcy
user 2970943
Oakland, CA
Sorry- I had trouble with the website- one e=mail disappeared completely and in reconstructing it, I copied RawDaddy's response to this e-mail which ran counter to most replies:

Here is Michelle's reply:

"Darcy, I am taking a moment to respond. I am a bit surprised at your attempted boycott. We are supposed to be "All One" and aren't we in support of raw food exposure to the masses? There are no more original ideas- only recycled ones- no one has the right to Divine inspiration. You cannot be serious to impose a ban on this wonderful endeavor to feed the world beautiful raw cones? Please, I implore you to release the drama/trauma and let all live in peace. This attitude you are sharing(as a lead organizer of this group, no less) is the old paradigm of thinking- peace begins within darling, there is room for all of us in this great big world. Surely Raw Daddy can make room for the prosperity to grow for everyone. Be the example, friends. Make peace."
~M.W.

OK and my reply to this was that I don't believe that it's all good if just anything is done in the name of the greater good- as Dostoyevski demonstrated in Crime and Punishment- and to which RawDaddy replied:

"It would be one thing if he started selling kamut or some other grain or seed cone, and then put his own creations in them, perhaps some traditional Afghanistan food from his home land, or something wildly different, but to take the exact same recipes and copy them for verbatim is I believe a trademark violation. Plus it's just such bad karma. Makes me sick. I guess what hurts the most is how much I thought of us as friends. My sister thought the world of him and just can't believe this happening. The wool was thrown over our heads for sure. "

And others of you showed a lot of support and some good ideas- RawDaddy is looking at his options and meanwhile I am hoping we do as much as we can as a group to show our support.

(see previous e-mail)

Jenn Clark just saw this latest and noticed the copy and past error- she's providing links we can use to show our support!

Let's use these links to the max!

I think there is a copy and paste error, Darcy!

Could you please send out these links so people can provide direct feedback to Solaiman:

Yelp: http://www.yelp.com/b...­

OR Click HERE

Twitter: https://twitter.com/L...­

or Click for Twitter HERE

Facebook:            https://www.facebook....­

Show support on his FACEBOOK page

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com...­

Click for Flickr HERE

Solaiman & his partner Olga on Google Plus
Olga Meydbray https://plus.google.c...­
Solaiman Salimi https://plus.google.c...­
Jenn C.
jennclark
Oakland, CA
Post #: 61
Michelle's response is fatuous at best - I would no sooner take the Krazy Kracker Lady's recipe book and start making food and selling it as my own, than I would do with Raw Daddy's recipes. If I wanted to start some sort of business -- I might first talk to the people who taught me the recipes to make sure they were okay with it, and I most certainly would promote their names as the original developers of the recipes that I was using.

What Solaiman did was underhanded and intentional - he befriended James, became a friend and trusted employee - and then copied recipes wholesale. He didn't even talk to James about his plans to venture off on his own.

Most food industry folks are incredibly secretive about their recipes -- that's why nobody has ever figured out what's in a Twinkie (though there's a book that tries), or Coca-Cola's secret formula, Mrs Field's cookies - heck, even Allison's vegan chocolates owner wouldn't even suggest recipe books or websites for a GOOD vegan caramel when I approached her privately.

Just because we are all fans of raw foods and want to see it promoted -- that does not justify stealing the original ideas of a creative person who has dedicated time, energy and resources to perfecting recipes to something that can be consistently reproduced. This is far different from just going home and playing with flaxseeds and cashews to see if you can approach what Raw Daddy does after seeing his class on May 2 -- this guy actually learned how to do it by working for Raw Daddy (he was paid) and then TOOK the recipes and set up operations in an overlapping geographic area.

That's cold, calculated and completely lacking in integrity.

One of the things that irritates me is all the sunny New Age chatter about not judging which is right along with "integrity" - and then all the blatant hypocrisy in personal behavior (this is why I stay away from friendships with people who insist they are "spiritual").

This is a HUGE integrity issue. Solaiman has none. If you think that Solaiman is doing anyone a favor other than his own pocketbook (ie, helping raw foods as a movement) then you also have no integrity.
Wendy
user 9892369
San Ramon, CA
Post #: 518
Well stated, Jenn.

I fear this is a Lesson Learned for folks in business: make sure anyone who works for you signs a Nondisclosure/Non-compete Agreement. And spend some money upfront to get an airtight document written up for you by a competent business attorney with deep knowledge in Intellectual Property protection. The we-are-one-at-peace outlook will not work in our current business culture and marketplace. Even head shops anticipate shoplifting and take mitigating measures. We can, however, carve out a space within the marketplace to try to live our values.

Unfortunately, recipes (I was told some years ago by an Intellectual Property attorney) cannot be copyrighted. (I also saw reference to trademarks and patents in the discussion, and they are not applicable.) Because recipes cannot be copyrighted, you will see basically the same recipe--with maybe a slight variation--in many publications. Honorable publishers give credit where its due.

While Solaiman may have the "right" (in the absence of a nondisclosure/non-compete agreement) to *legally* engage in a business enterprise that mimics and directly competes with Raw Daddy's, using Raw Daddy's creations, that does not mean what he is doing passes the smell test from an ethical standpoint. So, applying the same principle I do to free speech, I will acknowledge that Solaiman (or anyone else who decides to copy Raw Daddy's creation) probably is not breaking any law and is entitled to compete in the marketplace; but I will, in turn, exercise my right to boycott his business and to encourage others to do so.

If anyone wants to organize an in-person boycott with signs and flyers to distribute, please post the info. I will be happy to support it (schedule permitting)...provided it is factual, informative, business-like, and not snarky or hateful.