Darcy
user 2970943
Oakland, CA
Once in a while I find something I think is worth sharing- This is a pretty simple way to transition to raw.
For those of us who need transitioning with meals that more closely relate to the cooked foods we are used to
there are plenty of great recipes available- most noteworthy- Reggie and Billy's classically tasty recipes.

From Frederick Patenaude http://www.fredericpa...­

Transitioning to Raw

I’ve always said that everyone should learn to make 7 to 10 raw food recipes they TRULY enjoy.

Even on a standard cooked diet, most people eat the same kinds of foods every day.
We are creatures of routine. Once we find something we like, it’s easy to stick with the program.
When I was in high school, I learned one day how to make tuna sandwiches. I liked them so much that I ate them almost every day for lunch for a long time.
When I first started the raw food diet, I had no idea what foods I could make. Every recipe I tried was just “so-so” and nothing could sustain me for very long.
Since then, I have learned some simple recipes and patterns of eating that satisfy me day after day.
Every successful person I know follows some kind of PATTERN. They vary their diet throughout the year, but often they’ll eat the same delicious foods every day, while changing the recipe regularly depending on ingredients that are available.
So here’s my super-simple, transition strategy to eat MORE RAW:
Step #1 — Eat a raw breakfast
The first step is the easiest. Eat a 100% raw breakfast. Discover a few recipes that you like.
For me, breakfast is pretty open. Sometimes I’ll have a green smoothie, sometimes just some fruit, sometimes just a fruit smoothie.
Try out many different fruit recipes that are easy to make, until you find the one you really like for breakfast. Or eat your favorite fruit!
Step #2 — Eat a raw lunch
The raw lunch takes a bit more commitment, but it’s also very easy.
You just have to accept the fact that it’s perfectly okay to eat a lunch of just fruit.
Because lunch should be the largest meal of the day, it’s often easier to have a smoothie that can pack in the calories.
The quantities will depend on your needs, and whether or not you’re trying to lose weight.
All of my lunches usually center around bananas. Why? Because they are always around, they are non-acidic, high in calories, and very nutritious and versatile in the kitchen.
One great smoothie I love is:
Bananas + papaya flesh, blended together, with some water and if desired a bit of ice
Or bananas blended with water and some berries of your choice.
Again, you have to try out many different ideas until you find the one you like.
You may also want to accompany your meal with some celery or lettuce, or have a green smoothie for lunch.
The ideal lunch should leave you satisfied for at least 3 hours. If it doesn’t, then you simply didn’t eat enough.
Step #3 — Start dinner with fruit
If you’re trying to lose weight, you will want to skip this step. But if you’re at your ideal weight and active, then you’ll want to start your dinner with some fruit. Juicy and acidic fruits are great: fresh pineapple, oranges, peaches, mangoes, etc.
This usually is the part that most people resist. After having fruit for breakfast AND lunch… they feel like it’s “too much sugar” to have fruit for dinner as well.
But the truth is… if they are active enough and eat a dinner without fruit, invariably at the end of the meal they will crave something sweet, and end up binging on dates and nuts.
I understand it doesn’t FEEL natural to eat fruit for dinner. But it’s only because you are not USED to it. After a while it will feel as natural as anything.
Step #4 — Follow your fruit with a vegetable soup
In these progressive steps, you are free to eat whatever you like after eating the required foods for the steps. But once you take on another step, then obviously there’s little space available for the rest.
After you get used to eating fruit before your dinner, then follow that fruit with a delicious, fat-free vegetable soup.
I’ve been making this soup almost EVERY DAY for at least a year, and I never get tired of it because it’s so good.
I’ve made this soup for many raw-foodists who had never tasted it, and they all swore it was one of the most delicious things they had ever tried.
In my upcoming DVD series, I explain in detail how to make a low-fat vegetable soup.
For now, here are two variations of the recipe:
Variation #1
1 large tomato
1 large mango, only the flesh
1 handful basil
Blend
Variation #2
1 large tomato
1 mango, only the flesh
1 cucumber, peeled and diced
Fresh dill
A couple of green onions, or celery
Blend slowly (not completely)
When I’m in Costa Rica, I always add tamarillos (tree tomato), which looks like a cross between a tomato and a kiwi, and has a wonderful flavor.
The idea with these soups is to mix vegetable fruits, sweet fruit and fresh herbs. No fat is used or needed.
In my upcoming Raw Vegan DVD Series, I explain in details how to make these soups.
Step #5: Follow the fruit and soup with some kind of salad or blended salad.
Here you create a salad of your choice with a dressing of your choice, with or without fat.
Here you really need to find recipes you love, and would almost never get tired of eating.
If you like simple stuff, you can munch on plain lettuce or spinach, with optional avocado.
At this point, most people are pretty full and won’t need anything more. But if you are still hungry, have some steamed vegetables, or anything else you desire.
Step #6 — Go all raw!
The last step in the series is to eliminate the last bits of cooked foods that you’re regularly eating. Pretty simple?
This transition plan works great because you replace cooked calories with raw calories, without relying on excessive quantities of fat to do it.