The Edmonton Shutter-Bugs - A Photography Meetup Group Message Board › Lighting Introduction

Lighting Introduction

A former member
Post #: 83
Hello Everyone smile

I created this post for people interested in using, learning and practicing off camera flash photography. If you are interested in flash and want to contribute by either attending and or helping out with events please reply. This would help the organizers and other members of this club to organize and plan events.

This will also help you meet other members that are interested in flash photography.

Please reply to this thread if you are interesting in these events. Just state what kind of experience you have and what kind of flash photography you are interested in.

If you are excited about flash and and would like to contribute in anyway please also state that as well.
Just for a couple of examples - We will always be looking for volunteer "models" (i.e. people willing to have picture taken ;) and people that can volunteer space for events.

It would also be helpful if you posted flash equipment that you use.

No experience or equipment is required.

A former member
Post #: 85
I will go first of course smile

I am fairly new to flash photography. I picked up a flash for fill while taking nature and landscape shots a couple of years ago. I discovered one of the ways to learn how to use flash better for my work was to start reading up on portrait photography. This lead me to like portrait work as well. Environmental portraits seem to really interest me. I also like still photography (with flash and ambient light) like macro and and food photography.

I have a good grasp on the basics. I just need to practice them. I am not as technical about flash as some and I tackle flash photography more with a common sense approach and hands on experience/experimentation.

I am looking forward to helping new members get on a path to learning flash photography. Unfortunately flash photography is work.....but it is fun work smile

I have a basic type of starter kit for photography. I have three old Nikon SB-28's. These suit me well since they are cheap and I prefer to use flash in manual mode. I have four light stands, two 43" umbrellas, one 60' umbrella and a Westcott 28" softbox. I have three radio triggers that can work with only Nikon cameras. But I have one trigger that can work with other cameras (except Sony cameras) that will trigger my Nikon flashes (or other brands of flash as well) I have a few little things like colored gels and grid spots for the flashes as well. In the future I hope to collect some different fabric backgrounds and a proper background kit for seamless white and other paper backgrounds.

Charlie
Laurice B.
user 13320435
Group Organizer
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 41
Can not wait to get started, I think it will be a lot of fun. Thanks for starting this Charlie smile
Rick W.
PolishedPixel
Sherwood Park, AB
Post #: 47
Hi Charlie - I've been lying low for a while but am happy to get involved in this.

As you may recall I have umbrellas and a black backdrop, 3 Canon Speedlites (2 of them are auto only, no manual override) and a Yongnuo optical trigger (Chinese rip off of the Canon ST-E2). I'd be happy to help out on the Cannon side of things.

I could probably also help out with a model. She's reliable and in the past I've organized a collection to at least cover her gas money, so she wouldn't be completely free.

Rick.
Imran H.
ihayat
Sherwood Park, AB
Post #: 36
This sounds awesome! :) I would most likely be a Flash beginner, as I don't have even a single off-camera flash unit or any light stands or umbrellas or backdrops. I usually only work with natural light, plus honestly I haven't done many portraits as I'm more into landscapes. However.. I'm trying to get into photographing people so.. this should help. :)

I own a Pentax K7 DSLR. Not sure if it may be compatible with your flash unit. I may just try to buy something that works with mine. I do now have an unfinished basement which I would love to turn into a kind of a studio to try different lighting techniques and have people come and model. Should be neat!

Anyway.. looking forward to the Lighting 101 workshop. :)
A former member
Post #: 87
That's great Imran. Your camera should be able to trigger one of my Nikon Flashes. I have used a pentax SLR with it. Not sure which one. Keep an eye out for the lighting 101 talk :)

Thanks Rick :) I was hoping you would say that. You one meetup was a hit last time. There are two options for you. We could organize one were you co-host and help with the Canon TTL or have you host one by yourself. Think about what would work best. If you get impatient and want to host one one a specific date just let me know and we can figure something out. Otherwise I will email you sometime after the lighting 101 talk. :)

We can always use more Models. Kaye has be working her magic and has found some volunteers so there will be other events with a model as well. The more the better :)
Michelle
user 17358521
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 3
Hi everybody,

I would definitely be interested.

Very little experience here but I've been reading a lot of blogs, quite a few books and of course just getting out there and snapping my camera. My focus has definitely been more natural, as in landscapes, animals and inanimate objects. I've cautiously started taking pictures of people - mainly children. This is probably because I'm scared of people - lol - but I have been reading up on a beginners book on portrait photography to take the fear out of it. The camera that I'm using now is a T2Rebel with a 18-55mm lens, and unfortunately that is the extent of my camera equipment.

So a beginner here who is interest in learning.
Laurice B.
user 13320435
Group Organizer
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 42
It is best to get in on the ground floor so you have an idea on what equipment might be of interest to you and for individuals such as yourself to explore flash photography. Flash photography is definitely challenging and opens various aspects of photography that individuals may not be aware of. Please stay posted for events.
Pearl E N.
Sherwood Park, AB
Post #: 2
I would be interested in attending the Lighting 101 workshop. I am a beginner photographer and do have any lighting equipment. My camera is a Cannon T3.
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi Everyone! biggrin

I would be really interested in joining & learning! I am also a beginner with no experience with any flash other than the built in sad. I am still learning to use my camera (Canon Rebel EOS).

If you need a "model" I would be willing to give it a go...

Looking forward to it. Thanks Charlie.