Help support your MeetupChip in
The purpose of this meetup is to yield meaningful, enjoyable stories. It's designed for talented writers who believe in the value of a story arc. You should apply for membership if you seek analysis of a work that you intend to edit based on valuable feedback.
We meet for 2-3 hours on Tuesday nights. If you'd like to workshop your story, please bring at least one hard copy of it. Stories may be fictional or true to life, but there are a few guidelines:
• Stories do not exceed 2,500 words
• Stories are neither too underdeveloped nor too polished. If we don't have enough time to read everyone's work, priority will be given to full drafts.
• Writers only bring stories they plan to revise.
• Writers strive to offer readers something of value like amusement, instruction, or insight.
• Writers strive to develop and perfect the story arc.
Your role as a reader will be an important one, so we follow a few editing guidelines as well:
• Lead with aspects of the story that work for you. Knowing what works is every bit as helpful as knowing what doesn't work.
• Stay focused on the story we're reading. Often stories remind us of other stories, but this is probably not the right time to share personal anecdotes unless they're really short and really funny. Generally, it's not terribly helpful to talk about published stories you may be reminded of either.
• Avoid prescriptive feedback.
---- Acceptable: I'm interested in knowing more about this character's back story
---- Prescriptive: I think you should have a flashback scene. You could have your protagonist get into a fight with his mother and throw and throw a paperweight through the window
• Respect the spirit of the story. I've noticed that participants most often violate this rule when they impose their own values on the story we're reading.
765 Broncos Fans