addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Eugene Book and Social Club Message Board › Next book suggestions & "Bowling Alone" themes revisited

Next book suggestions & "Bowling Alone" themes revisited

A former member
Post #: 17
This post deleted by the poster herself/
A former member
Post #: 2
Is the book club more important than the social club of this group? I'm just curious if I joined the wrong group. I'm seeking a group that offers a good variety of both, without one looking down upon the other. The ability of freedom to attend the events that spark my interests the most. There may be books that I like, as much as ones I may not. Same goes for the social events. One should not feel they aren't committed to the group just because they attend the social events and not the book club events. Not everyone likes the same type of books. Same goes for those that don't like the same type of social events.
Rach
user 11605676
Eugene, OR
Post #: 14
I like all of Saffron's book suggestions, but do agree that we should read the first of The Girl with... books if we're going to do that.

A couple that came up before that I was interested in but never ended up as book club picks were Freedom by Jonathan Franzen and The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins.

One that I will add to the list because I'm interested in reading it is Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen by Susan Gregg Gilmore. I would also recommend A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller as a totally wonderful book that I loved and would love to reread and discuss.