So it looks like there may be some rain on Sunday. Let's keep the event as scheduled and if it actually rains, take a break to see if it passes. If you feel like you want to stop all together, by all means, go ahead. We can always leaflet another day :)
For leafleting outside Bookshop Santa Cruz, we can be on the sidewalk and need to stay 10 ft away from the entrances of any businesses. If any security or police officers approach us (which I highly doubt), please direct them to me (Martha). Do not, I repeat, DO NOT be confrontational with them.
If you are going to leaflet at Staff of Life, please check-in w/ Rhada re: where you allowed to leaflet and the same applies re: not being confrontational w/ security & police officers. Check-in w/ Rhada to see who the point person is that you can direct any security or police officers to. A few tips for leafleting:
- Be approachable and don't criticize those who do not want to take your information. They may not be ready for it, but may well be ready to take the information in the future.
- Don't argue with those who take the time to disagree with your information. Typically these people just want to argue and will say that they are having a "discussion", but really aren't interested in going vegan. Politely excuse yourself so your time can be better spent giving information to those who are open to it.
- Don't feel like you have to know all the answers. If you are asked a question you don't know the answer to, it's okay to refer to another person in the group.
- Don't despair if a lot of people don't want the information. Keep a positive attitude as it's worth connecting with those who truly are receptive to the information.
- Understand that people will get defensive. It's hard to admit when we take part in cruelty to animals. Let them know that it's easy to be vegan and that they have the power to end cruelty. If it applies, share what your concerns were when you first went vegan and how you overcame those concerns.
- If you find someone who is really interested in learning more or wants to go vegan, let them know about the meet-up group (we should have a sign-up list at each location) or any resources you know about on-line (i.e. vegweb.com, etc)
- Have fun! After all we are going to have a potluck after all your hard work is done!