The Glendale Photography Group Message Board › 1 hour Headshot Video

1 hour Headshot Video

Darrell
Durrrell
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 5,307
It's a pretty good video that some might find helpful...

http://youtu.be/j-NKd...­
A.C.
user 12888986
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 9
Ok, so I watched the video and quickly after that, felt the need to test some of his concepts. These are my results. The first two don't have post processing. The second two have some contrast and brightness processing to make the model's (Kenny Apel - the quintessential street bum in most background jobs) features pop a little more.

A.C.
Laura S
laurasix
West Hills, CA
Post #: 3
Thanks for the video!
Mikeal
Mikeal
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 42
Thanks for the Video! He is VERY good at headshots, without a doubt. But his lighting setup has A LOT to do with his results.

I watched it and I noticed a big part of the results is from the lights he uses. He is getting HUGE catchlights in the eyes, while also getting soft light. And we all know, eyes make the photos POP! The best way to do that is to have #1 have a light source that is VERY CLOSE to the subject, #2 have a soft light source, and #3 it has to be COOL enough to not be that close and not melt the models face off. lol

He is using KinoFlo light banks. I have 5 KinoFlos I use for my commercial headshot work as well and they are indeed amazing lights. I rarely bring them out for group shoots because of the cost (they run about $1500+ per light, with accessories you are looking at $2000+.....not fun), but if you guys want to play with them some time I can bring them up to the studio for a headshot Meetup or something.

They are 5500k daylight balanced lights with ballasts to control flicker and color temp. They also have dimmers built in so the light is easily adjusted without losing color temp at lower light levels. I don't think the ones he uses are adjustable, some models are, some aren't.

I am just adding this because he QUICKLY skimmed over what he used to light his shots, and it was easy to miss. I think he showed his light setup because he figured that most people cant afford to reproduce it. Yeah I admit it, I watched the video and I have a little chip on my shoulder because I thought to myself "Dude, who can afford that setup?!". Well, we can prove him wrong, we got it! So if you guys want to come and try and do an "apples to apples" comparison and try out his setup, we can make that happen.

Gene A.
user 10584244
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 19
I agree with Mikeal, let's set it up. Maybe two stations, one with Mikeal's kinoFlos and a second with traditional lights for comparison.
Laura S
laurasix
West Hills, CA
Post #: 4
I can bring a couple "working" actresses. Last name "sixtos" for the headshots. IMDB
Mikeal
Mikeal
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 43
Two light stations sounds like a great idea. I don't know if my studio can support two stations being setup at the same time though. Its not that big. I am in a commercial building with spaces that aren't that big. Mostly offices and nail shops in my complex. I have to make due with what little space was available. Depending on our configuration and the other lights, it might be possible. If the lights aren't that big, or need that much space to distribute their light.
We can just play a game a Tetris with the studio and fit it in maybe. But I am not 100% sure if it can be done.
What kind of lights did you guys have in mind as the other set?
Mikeal
Mikeal
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 44
A.C. Great job on the lighting on those shots! Everything is tack sharp, very clear, great contrast!
A.C.
user 12888986
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 13
Thanks Mike. I was thinking exactly the same thing you were thinking: Kinoflow lights...FOUR of them? Well, of course you better get some amazing shots. It's like saying, I shoot on the Canon 1D (I know you're a photog that shoots with that OTHER brand...but I'm still being your friend. hehehe) but my shots are amazing because I'm doing all the work. Granted, you do need to know what you're doing in order to make the photos look nice. However, the opportunity to screw up is much lower because he has amazing equipment.

I tried to recreate what he did in his slideshow of headshots using my Profoto monolights shooting down at the model and a reflector coming from underneath the model's chin.

If you do decide to set up a headshots meetup with your Kinoflows...COUNT ME IN (please). I won't even talk about your camera choice. ;- D
A.C.
user 12888986
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 14
Alicia,

It's not 'Avengers' Sixtos is it?