addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Glendale Photography Group Message Board › The Best Flash for a Canon EOS Rebel T1i????

The Best Flash for a Canon EOS Rebel T1i????

Nora
user 57076682
Glendale, CA
Post #: 1
Hello Everyone,

My name is Nora and I am in need of your help. I am looking for the best/right equipment for my camera. I am starting with a flash, but am I not quite sure what/which one would be right fit for me or camera?. I did some research on the Canon 430 ex, but was wondering what any of you have to say about this flash? Is there anything that may be cheaper, different brand that, or even better to buy? I enjoy taking "portraits and landscapes".

Thank You, for reading this and any help will be highly appreciated!!!
Chris
cnjackson
Canoga Park, CA
Post #: 188
Nora, I’d buy a flash that is in your budget. You can wind up spending a lot of money on a flash if you want. The more expensive flashes have more & better features, cycle faster and are brighter. If you are just using the flash casually, you can get away with a cheaper flash. If you are going to shoot weddings or events where you might need to shoot a lot, you are going to want to go with a pro level flash or with one of the more expensive models.

If you are just starting out with your first flash, I’d recommend getting one of the cheaper models and learn how to use it well and upgrade later on when you are ready.
Nora
user 57076682
Glendale, CA
Post #: 2
Thank You, Chris!!

I will eventually try to do wedding or other events.
A former member
Post #: 17
Nora -

I agree with Chris that you should work with your budget. However, if you plan on upgrading anyway, I would suggest investing in something you can grow into vs. something that you'll grow out of quickly. The 580 EX II from the Canon brand is a great choice. However, it is a little bit more pricey. There's a lot of really great functions there that will make your photos a lot better than getting a basic flash. For example, you can do off camera flash shots without the need for a remote trigger. The flash unit itself also has a wider range of motion if you need to rotate the direction of your flash for your shots. I have the 580 EX and have had no complaints with it. (Knock on wood)

Nora, I’d buy a flash that is in your budget. You can wind up spending a lot of money on a flash if you want. The more expensive flashes have more & better features, cycle faster and are brighter. If you are just using the flash casually, you can get away with a cheaper flash. If you are going to shoot weddings or events where you might need to shoot a lot, you are going to want to go with a pro level flash or with one of the more expensive models.

If you are just starting out with your first flash, I’d recommend getting one of the cheaper models and learn how to use it well and upgrade later on when you are ready.

Nora
user 57076682
Glendale, CA
Post #: 3
Hi A.C.

Thanks for your input, There are so many gadgets that come with photography; it can be overwhelming trying to find the right one. In any case thanks again.
A former member
Post #: 47
When buying a flash you have to think of what you are shooting. If you shoot landscapes, you generally wont worry much about flashes as no flash can light up an entire forest, you will control lighting more with shutter, aperture, ISO.
As for lighting portraits, well NOW YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT FLASH! :)
If budget is important, then I would buy a cheap speedlights as well as a cheap radio trigger. They have radio triggers for about $30 a set now. So you can trigger any flash you get with the radio trigger wirelessly, so you can save money and get an inexpensive flash that doesn't have wireless capabilities.
Then use the money you save to buy an umbrella or even better, a speedlight soft box! You will get much more bang for you buck.