The Glendale Photography Group Message Board › Do we give the models photos with watermark or without?

Do we give the models photos with watermark or without?

Ronnie S.
user 52745992
North Hollywood, CA
Post #: 1
I just start using watermark on my photos. I'm curious do we give photos with watermark or without to the model? Thank you.
Timothy C.
timothycharles
Altadena, CA
Post #: 29
I recently attended a photography class, and due to the lack of a model, I sat for the class as the model.

Because the instructor insisted that the class give the models images I was given many photos, the best one I received was a photo with the photographers name slathered across the bottom in brightly colored bold letters.

While many photographers do this, it is placed me in a position that if I want to frame this photo, I need to cut off a major portion of the photo bottom and ruining the appearance of the photo.

Photographers, need to be mindful of what this does to a photograph; it should not relegate more to the image than the work. If used, it should be positioned, such, when framed, it is the client's decision to hide it, not overwhelm the photo!
A former member
Post #: 5,319
Having the copyright mark helps to insure that if a subject wants to use the image for other purposes, they should have a conversation with the photographer rather than just using the image for any purpose.
Phil
Phil1228
Corona, CA
Post #: 49
I just start using watermark on my photos. I'm curious do we give photos with watermark or without to the model? Thank you.

The day a model pays for my camera and my lens then I'll gladly give them photos without a watermark.
A former member
Post #: 3
Whenever I have done TF shoots with models I provide them with an un-watermarked final image at 8x10 300 DPI resolution. My feeling is that you are trading services. How would we like them to model with their name branded across their clothing? You should agree on how many images you will provide (I give models five), retouched or not, and a timeframe by which you will give them the digital images. I post watermarked proofs of the images I like so they can select a limited number that they want for their portfolio. I digitally copyright my images as part of the metadata so that if they are posted on-line, such as on Facebook) the copyright is displayed. I also ask the models to tag them with my website and Facebook profile, which they are always happy to do.
Geri K.
user 46024132
Palmdale, CA
Post #: 2
I really like this explanation as I am also learning and trying to now use watermarks on my photos.
A former member
Post #: 54
If the shoot was TF then I dont watermark anything because in many cases it can ruin the photo and make it almost unuseable for the model. If I PAID the model then the model is lucky if I give them ANY photo at all because the payment was in MONEY so our business is complete.
But in general, if its a TF shoot, I give the model EVERY IMAGE before they leave, I just shoot raw+jpeg, and burn a copy of the jpegs to a disk before they go, without watermarks. If it was TF then the model deserves every photo. How would we feel if the model got to plaster her name all over OUR photo where ever she wanted to, and ALSO got to tell us which photos we got to keep? If its TF, then its an even trade. We need to get off our high horses and realize that the trade is EVEN. To be fair, and make it an EVEN trade, at the end of the shoot, BOTH parties should walk away with the same images. Or, just pay the model and keep all of your images.
True our gear costs money. But we can buy more gear, they are providing looks, and youth which cant be bought, once its gone, its gone. We want them to value what we provide, we should value what they provide.....or go take photos of trees. A tree will never complain about your watermark.
Laura S
laurasix
West Hills, CA
Post #: 8
I started putting watermarks when I post on facebook etc. If it's a time for prints, I would give them two sets. One with and one without. I would want them to post photos online with watermark, for the advertisement of it. If someone likes the photo, they'll look up the photographer (hopefully). Now if it's an event. I would watermark for sure, putting a link to the photos and if they want to order, they can without a watermark.
A former member
Post #: 55
Yeah, I can see that. Giving them two sets, one with watermarks, one without. And hoping they would post the ones WITH the watermarks when they post online. Giving them the option sounds like a good idea. Personally, I am just too lazy to do that. lol I just take my card that has the jpegs on it, load the whole thing to a CD before they leave the shoot, and be done with it. lol Makes it easier that way, I don't have to worry about them not getting their photos, loading them to a dropbox, emailing them, or making a web gallery.