addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Glendale Photography Group Message Board › 10-questions-you-should-be-asking-every-photographer

10-questions-you-should-be-asking-every-photographer

MaryAnn
user 13772296
Glendale, CA
Post #: 12
I answered this one just for fun. I don't have the best equipment but I've almost everything I need. Exchanging notes might be useful.... like what's-in-your-bag-that-I-might-want-in-­my-bag sorta thing. We had this discussion with my photo club back home way back 7 yrs ago. I learned some gadgets that I didn't even know existed... like a light meter. *sob* At the time, I was a 'newbie' in digital photography. Haha

[http://digital-photog...­]

Q1. What kind of gear do you use?
Camera body - Canon T2i, Canon 1100d, Canon Ft-b [This is not to start a brand war. I used to have a Nikon D90, Nikkor 18-200mm and SB900, ok?]
Lens - Canon 35mm f.2, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 10mm-22mm, Canon 100mm Macro, Tamron 18mm-270mm, Lensbaby Composer Pro with double glass, Canon 55mm 1.2-infinity.
Tripod - Manfrotto 190 CXPRO4, Manfrotto 209 table top tripod with Manfrotto 259B Extension, Manfrotto 494RC2 ballhead.
Filters - 85A, 85B, ND GRAD, HOYA INFRARED R72, Circular Polarizer, HELIOPAN ND2, HOYA ND8, HOYA ND400, several old color and diffuser filters, Lensbaby Macro kit, filter holders, adaptor ring and step up rings.
Flash - Canon 580 EX II. Canon Omni Bounce Flash Diffuser. Spectralight diffuser
Camera bag - Jill-e lady camera bag, Mekka backpack, Tamrac Expedition, Filter bag,
Mention others, if any. Canon RC-6 wireless remote controller, Canon RS-60E3 wired remote, Rainsleeve, Sigma lens pen, lens cleaning kit, X-Wrap Pro size 35, 45 & 55, 5-in-1 reflector, white umbrella, stand & remote, Giotto lens blower, eneloop batteries and charger, external storage, flash light, rubber band....

Q2. Which is your favorite lens? Why? My fave is Canon 35mm f/2 because it's light and it's sharp. I can use it as my walk-around lens.

Q3. When you go in one of your travels, what all you take with you? Why? It depends on the subject, main attraction of the venue and time of day or general lighting condition. I get info as much as I can. If I'm totally clueless, I usually bring a walk around lens, 1 extra lens, a small backpack, tripod, lens pen, wired remote, extra batteries and SD cards.

Q4. Among the gadgets that you own, is there something that you wish you hadn’t bought? Why? 10 old cokin filters because I didn't know much about using filters when I bought those. Tamrac bag--it's cute but it's too small for my usual cam gear. I thought it will force me to pack light. lol.

Q5. In the field, what are your settings? it depends on the focal length of the lens that I'm using, subject, intention, situation (if I'm in a moving vehicle, etc.) and lighting condition/lighting set up.
Aperture – larger aperture if my intent is selective focusing or if lighting is bad. smaller aperture when I want everything sharp. The concept of aperture is different when shooting in IR--as I was just told recently.
Shutter Speed – Generally, a shutterspeed that is fast enough for handheld shooting because that depends on the focal length of the lens. Otherwise, slow shutter speed with tripod if my intent is blurring or showing motion. Fast shutter speed when I want to freeze motion. For panning, that would be between 1/15 to 1/40 but it depends on the speed of the subject and the focal length--i think... not sure. lol
ISO – ISO 100 as much as possible. If I am in a moving vehicle, ISO400 to ISO 800. If I've to choose between noise and blurred, useless shots, I'd choose noise and push the ISO than get blurred crappy shots!.
White Balance – Depends on the color temperature. Sometimes I experiment to get the effect I want, not always matching it with the color temperature and I get surprising results! No rules! lol
Focus – Manual/Auto. It depends. I usually shoot in Manual. I'm not ashamed to use P (for 'professional--LOL). Aperture priority when I use my lensbaby. Shutterspeed priority when I'm in a moving vehicle or when I'm doing panning shot. I use shutterspeed priority when I want to ensure a fixed shutterspeed when shooting motion.
Image Format – RAW/JPEG. It depends. Generally, RAW. If IR, I shoot in JPEG.

Q6. What kind of tools do you use for post processing? Explain your work flow. Hmm...

Q7. How do you educate yourself to take better pictures? Read a lot--good books by great photographers and articles on the web. Look at others photographers' great works. Be inspired by other art forms like still art or performing arts, etc. Be updated with the latest trend. Keep developing your own personal style. Don't get stuck in a particular composition style. Keep experimenting. Attend workshops, trade shows. Shoot with other photographers. Learn from others. Participate in photo contests and exhibits that don't violate/abuse photographers' rights. Give back--volunteer for a cause when there's an advocacy photography. Keep shooting and learn from mistakes.

Q8. Among your works, which one is your favorite? Why? Hmm... I guess nature in abstract image shot in Rizal--it won twice in just 3 months! I like it even when no one really liked it... until it got published. LOL I like it because that can't be re-created and it looks like a painting even without post-processing.

Q9. Whose work has influenced you most? Kodak. Associated Press. Impressionist painters. Tilak Hettige. Richard Larrios. Richard Martin. Manny Librodo. John Chua. Paul Yan. Hmm...

Q10. What is the one thing you wish you knew when you started taking photos? because I used a fully manual, 70s slr during my 1st 15 shooting years, the existence of a light meter (lol)--that would've made my life easier and my learning faster. lol