The Glendale Photography Group Message Board › Event suggestions

Event suggestions

Eric
rictango
Lafayette, CA
Post #: 43
Hi All,

I just wanted to get your feedback on ways we can improve our meetups. Are there any events you would like us to host? Would you like to host a meetup? Are there any glaring problems or issues you encountered in past meetups? Any suggestions to improve or resolve these issues or problems? Let's hear it!

Eric
rv
user 11237624
North Hollywood, CA
Post #: 1
Hi Eric,

I read a suggestion wherein it was suggested that the leader's phone no. be made available during the meetup, especially for first timers. For better communications and coordination among the attendees, I think that's a good idea too. Furthermore, some of the attendees may not have internet access on their phones like some of you guys have. At the same time, I also understand if you or any of the organizers would want to keep your phone no. private as these meetups are open to just about anyone.

Just to give you an example of the need for better communications/coordination, in the Point Vicente Lighthouse Meetup, Eugene Powers and I met Mike O. as we were looking for Lee Fruchter later in the evening. It was Mike O.'s first meetup and he didn't meet any of the group's members til he was about to leave. As a result, he ended shooting by himself, which is no fun. I think you met him too coz I asked him to approach the group after Lee informed us where you guys were.

Regarding meetup suggestions, I'm really more of a landscape shooter and here's a list at the top of my head:

1. El Matador beach sunset--15 minute hike to reach the beach. Most likely will get wet. $8 parking fee.

2. Temecula Hot Air Balloon

3. Death Valley--winter time

4. Yosemite--Requires more planning & at least a weekend and lots of hiking.

5. L.A. Zoo

Not willing to host but full of ideas :-)

Thanks Eric. You are a good leader!

RV

Timothy C.
timothycharles
Altadena, CA
Post #: 32
Eric, RV,

I have been to Yosemite many times, and the Valley alone is with all the Ansel Adams photo op sites is incredible. The hikes up to Bridal Vale, Navada, and Yosemite falls are also something else to do and with a camera, you have an enriching time.

My experience has told me that a weekend is not enough time, given the drive time alone is about 6 hours each direction, so a weekend is difficult to fit everything in that you want to do.

When I have gone I usually spend about a week to ten days minimum, and still feel I missed something. There is so much to take in photographically I always go for an extended stay.

Additionally, I always want to ride the Narrow gauge Railroad on Saturday night to take in the BBQ dinner and musical show. The locomotive is an old Shay engine, with a drive shaft and vertical pistons, rather than the typical horizontal pistons you see on regular steam Locomotives. The food is always good, and the music is fun to listen to, invites you to clap your hands and even sing along to familiar songs!

Tim
Eric
rictango
Lafayette, CA
Post #: 44
Hi Tim,

Thank you for the suggestions. Yosemite is a major trip that requires some planning and commitment on the part of both the organizer and attendees. I recall that Anna organized one a year ago and there was not a large response from the group then. You are right that this is not a day trip. To truly make the most of it, you need to set aside at least a 3 day weekend. I am not sure I can lead that.
I appreciate both your responses. There are many good suggestions. Again, they are all very beautiful locations that I have been to and would go back to again, my schedule permitting. Would I lead a group there? That is another question.
RV,
Your input is greatly appreciated. I cannot speak for any other host here. Personally, if anyone asks for my number, I would exchange numbers over a secure, private message. I do not feel that my personal contact information is for public consumption. If you think that is a good idea, let's reverse the situation. Would you post your number online as a member so that the host can contact you? What do you think?
As other members step up to organize events, I will be stepping back and provide more of a supporting role. I would like to see others succeed in leading events and build up the group to be more of a community where everyone can actively participate rather than being passive and just following along. I do not see why you cannot lead an event in the future, RV. You seem to have a lot of wonderful ideas and you have passion. There are others within the group who are skillful who I believe can lead the group at events as well.
Thanks again for your input. It is greatly appreciated. I will seriously consider each idea and see if we can put a few of them into action for 2013.
Timothy C.
timothycharles
Altadena, CA
Post #: 33
To everyone concerned,
When I joined the Boy Scouts, I was told there are responsibilities to everyone involved with a group. When I became a patrol leader, I took a leadership workshop put on by the Scoutmaster.

Some of the principles of leadership were designed to share leadership, in other words, when it comes to an event, everyone is involved in the planning and process.

When I became a Scoutmaster, we extended that to various people delegated to making the event work. One of the ideals we used was, if you make a suggestion, and everyone agreed, that person became the team leader in charge of making it happen, and the team made sure the details such as food planning, transportation, and such, happen.

While going to Yosemite is a big task, it is do-able with an committee of several people, not just one; Eric, nor anyone else, should not be the only one doing all the work, it is just too big for one person. Additionally, it is not an immediate event either, such an event would take several months to pull off, I suggest much longer, say a fall event next year when all the colors of the valley are in full glory.

While I have administered events, it is not something I do alone, nor do I do it gratis. If several people want to volunteer their time to make this happen, we can make this work.
rv
user 11237624
North Hollywood, CA
Post #: 2
Hi Tim,

Yes, you are correct that a weekend is not enough time and planning a group trip w/ photography buffs is a big task. I've only been there once and I'd love to go back again. Thanks again for your inputs.

Hi Eric,

Sending you a PM on your e-mail.

RV
Eric
rictango
Lafayette, CA
Post #: 45
Tim,
You're absolutely right and hit the nail on the head. I think that Yosemite is a grand undertaking and requires greater group involvement. I agree that this needs more than one person to plan and requires input and effort from everyone interested. I also think that fall would be the best time to make the trip there and we can certainly plan something like that for next year. You may also want to consider including the eastern sierras since it has some spectacular landscapes there as well.
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. I truly appreciate your insight. Hope to shoot with you soon.
Qui D.
user 11073262
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 5
Eric all your suggestions I believe have been wonderful. I have 2 jobs currently, among other things, so that is why it is difficult for me personally to get to your wonderful meet ups. I would like to attend more and perhaps if they are in the more eastern part of LA i.e. near Pasadena I can squeeze them in.
Eric
rictango
Lafayette, CA
Post #: 46
Thanks, Qui! I appreciate itt and know where you're coming from.
henry n.
user 14298931
Van Nuys, CA
Post #: 13
Hey Eric,
Henry here, why not do something seasonal and interesting for the group since the holiday season almost here, do something close to everyone and no need for long hour drive ,people can enjoy as part of their holiday season.[ no model needed to have fun].
Like - We done the 'Boardway walk ' last year ,we can do the other one this Nov or Dec some weekend .
1, Union Station
An entertaining mix of architectural, cultural, and transportation history, exploring the last great train station built in America. The tour also covers the extensive public art of the 1993 East Portal area and MTA Building.

Easy walking: Ample places to sit; station is wheelchair accessible
Can accommodate up to four groups of 20-25 people at one time
Indoors
Across from historic Olvera Street, for after-tour lunch and shopping
2, Art Deco
An up-close look at the architecture and style of the 1920s and 1930s, full of wonderful geometric designs and distinctive artwork

Moderate walking: About twelve blocks with minimal rest stops; can be shortened
Can accommodate up to three groups of 18 at one time
Near a range of restaurants, from cafeteria to upscale
3, Modern Skyline
An exploration of Los Angeles’ Central Business District, which focuses on the evolution of contemporary corporate architecture and how historic architecture fits into a “new” downtown.

Moderate to heavy walking: About 14 blocks; includes steps and hills
Can accommodate up to two groups of 18 at one time
Includes a great variety of public art
Suggestion number 2 will be the 'Ca science center ', they got the Space Shuttle and the Egyptian exhibition going on now .
Some more holiday style ideal are 1, do a ' Beverly hill evening street walk '
2, Studio city --city walk during the holiday season night.
3, may be Pasadena shopping area at night for a photowalk .