This is the new date of an event that had to be rescheduled from the summer:
Linda Fisher is a licensed tour guide who has worked in the court system for almost 40 years. Her tour specialty is the Civic Center, with a focus on penal institutions and courts, and she has in the past given the tour under the auspices of the Municipal Arts Society. So, let's have a date in court, so to speak, as we enjoy our own private tour of law and order downtown!
• Pre-Revolutionary correctional institutions and gallows
• The development of the oldest court system in the nation
• Institutional architecture, from Beaux-Arts to Brutalism
• How the Collect Pond and Five Points shaped today's landscape
• Notorious scandals - past and present
• Prison cells of the (formerly) rich and (in)famous
• Civic pride in public art
• A trip to Criminal Court - Arraignment Part I
Where to meet: Meet at the bottom of the steps of the Tweed Courthouse, 52 Chambers Street, between Broadway and Centre Street. The closest trains are the R to "City Hall" and the 4,5,6,J to "Brooklyn Bridge".
When to meet: 10:45pm for an 11am start of the tour. I will be holding a MEETUP sign.
Fee: $20 cash, payable directly to Ms. Fisher, the tour guide. Like all tour guides, she'll appreciate exact change :) We do also have our own $1 fee to help defray the costs of maintaining this meetup group, payable to the organizer.
NOTE: While I won't be able to go on the tour with the group that day, I will be present at the beginning to take attendance and greet everyone.