We are heading to Austin for the weekend to go climbing outdoors on Saturday and Sunday! Most of us are camping at Pace Bend Saturday night. See details below.
Reimers Ranch is about a half hour southwest of Austin. There are routes for beginners through advanced levels. There is a fee to enter the park - $10 per car and they will make you sign a waiver.
Here is a link to some info on Reimers: http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/North_America/United_States/Texas/South_Central_Texas/Reimers_Ranch/
Back to Reimers Ranch - climbing on the North Shore.
Saturday Night Camping Information
2805 Pace Bend Rd North
Spicewood, TX 78669
$15 primitive camping per vehicle per night (have 400+ sites)
$20 improved camping per vehicle per night
$10 to reserve improved campsite (in addition to camping fee)
Prices are discounted if you have a Lone Star Pass
**Camping fees also covers day pass to Reimer's Ranch and Hamilton Pool
- Saturday morning - depart Houston for Reimer's Ranch around 8 or 9. Arrive there by 12. We can all meet in the parking lot to go down to Dead Cat's Wall. If you don't find the group, please meet down at that wall. I can explain how to get there if you haven't been before.
- From 12-5 or so we will be climbing/hanging out at Reimer's. We may leave Dead Cat's Wall at some point to check out some of the other walls, but we won't do that until everyone is with the group.
- Around 5 we will hike back up to the cars. For those of you that want to join, we will be going to grab burgers/drinks at The Front Porch in Austin.
- After dinner, we will head out to Pace Bend to set up camp. Amy will already be set up, so we will look for her area and try to camp there or get the spot next to her. We have enough tents for everyone. We are hoping to be able to have a fire, but it depends if the burn ban is on when we arrive. So that will be TBD. We can buy wood at the campsite.
- Sunday morning - maybe get breakfast tacos at the gas station near Reimers or maybe just eat our own food...play it by ear.
- After breakfast, we will head to Reimers to go to the North Shore for climbing for the day.
- After climbing, we will head back to Houston - potentially stopping in Austin for a quick bite to eat before we get on the road.
What you need to bring:
- Your own harness and shoes.
- Snack foods for climbing and breakfast (although maybe we can go somewhere for breakfast Sunday morning).
- Water - bring yourself a few bottles.
- Non-flip flop footwear to walk to the climbing walls (I have a "lovely" story about that one...).
- Your warmest sleeping bag - the temperature will be dropping Saturday night to close to freezing.
- An airmattress/foam pad - anything to put under your sleeping bag to retain heat better. If you don't have an airmattress or foam pad, bring a large blanket or two.
- Flashlight or headlamp.
- Clothing for cool weather (sweater/jacket/hat etc.).
Carpooling: Looks like Tom and Dave are both able to bring a few people. Viviana will be heading out with her group separately. IF YOU WANT TO CARPOOL, PLEASE EMAIL ME YOUR CONTACT INFO AND LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT TO CARPOOL AND WHERE YOU ARE LOCATED. I WILL PUT YOU IN TOUCH WITH TOM/DAVE SO WE CAN ALL COORDINATE THAT PART. :)
My Contact Info: [masked] and [masked] (I check my email regularly, so feel free to email or call/text)
Note that there is terrible cell phone coverage once we are at the climbing walls at Reimer's. If you are late and meeting us at the wall, please ask when you enter the park for an explanation of how to find Dead Cat's Wall. They are pretty good with directions. Or ask other climbers you see as you walk down into the crag.
See you all this weekend!