The Hudson Valley Pug Meetup Group Message Board › Suggestions for Pug Breeders!!

Suggestions for Pug Breeders!!

Jennifer P.
user 57090072
Millerton, NY
Post #: 1
Hi Everyone

So you all may know Clayton and I as the people who show up to the meetups with no pug of our own, however that might change now!

My mother lost her newfoundland this past Spring, and now she is thinking about getting another dog. The thing is she is interested in a Corgi. She has also always been fond of pugs, but she has never really been around them (I think once she is, her mind will be completely changed and more in pug-mode)

I was hoping to visit some breeders with my mom to help her see why she actually NEEDS a pug! Do you guys have any suggestions? We are looking for big, stocky, chubby pugs.

Also, if you know anything about corgis (especially anything that could persuade her more towards a pug) let me know

Thanks!
Carol
Rosie-n-Mikey
Group Organizer
Poughkeepsie, NY
Post #: 3,136
hi jenny & clayton...
first, i'm so sorry for your mom's loss. i know how hard it is to lose a beloved pet but my feeling is what greater way to honor that pet's memory than to give that love to another. a pug is the perfect dog to chase those blues away! i can't really dis corgies, they are wonderful dogs but very different from a pug so it all depends what she is looking for. it takes a special person to own a pug. you have to want a constant companion. that's what they were bred for and they are excellent at it. all they want is to make you happy and be with you. i personally feel that they didn't get the memo that they are actually dogs, more like little furry aliens that we have the privilege to take care of. it's too bad that it is the end of our meetup season otherwise i would suggest that you bring her to one of our meetups so she could see them in action. as far as reputable breeders go, i would look at the pug dog club of ny and check out their breeders. here is the link...http://www.newyorkpug...­ . you will pay more for the pug, but they are all beautiful, healthy, and well cared for. i have met 2 of the breeders there, barbara glazer (fawn pugs) and marianne vanderhyden (black pugs), and they are wonderful people with ADORABLE pugs. i'm sure any breeders on that list would be great. sometimes they even have older pugs (maybe about 1-2 years old) that they are willing to sell that would be less expensive...added bonus is that those will be housebroken! i'm sure any of those breeders would be willing to talk with you or your mom and you can set something up...pug people are awesome and love to talk pug, as you know. of course there is always rescue...curly tail pug rescue...if you want to take that route. good luck in your search, i'm sure you are sooo excited for this possibility, and please let me know how it goes or if i can help out in any way.
tell your mom that someday, pugs will rule the world, and if you own one, you will be on their good side tongue!
pug hugs,
carol :-)
Carol
Rosie-n-Mikey
Group Organizer
Poughkeepsie, NY
Post #: 3,137
oh...one more thing...i am a true believer in researching breeds before committing to one. selecting a breed just because you are in love with their looks can be a big mistake when you get that puppy home and find out they need more of something than you are willing or able to give. i came across this site about corgis that might help with the decision....http://mycorgi.com/fo...­ ....and this one about pugs....http://www.dummies.co...­ ...hope it helps :-)
Lisa
PugsWeb
Poughkeepsie, NY
Post #: 608
Hi

I found my breeder using www.breeders.net --- she was a reputable breeder but I do not think she is in the area any longer. However, NOT reputable breeders can also post on there so you have to do your homework when talking with them and can probably crosslink to http://www.akc.org/br...­. Many people speak very highly of Harold Elmendorf (DebCor's Pugs) in Rhinebeck. I had contacted him years ago but he did not have any pugs at that time.

Also, never underestimate a pug rescue or petfinder.com -- puppies can be found there too, but sometimes your perfect pug is not a puppy at all.

Good Luck
Lisa