The Irish / British Genealogy Group Message Board › Social Security Records

Social Security Records

Joanne
user 13203032
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 9
Has anyone ever ordered records from the Social Security Administration? I ordered some in early October - no response yet and the check has not been cashed. I'm wondering about how long this should take. Any thoughts?
Bridget
user 8700760
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 61
It wasn't for US social security information was it? I know I've seen a lot of discussion but haven't read too detailed of reports around the fact that information on social security is being closed down and soon if not will be unavailable. If it's related to other types of records I have also read it can be several months - much slower in the US than overseas.
Joanne
user 13203032
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 10
Yes, it was for US Social Security records. Ancestry sent an e-mail or newsletter giving out the SSA address. I wrote and sent a check in early October. The check has not yet cleared and there's been no response. I wrote to ancestry to see if they could offer advice on the length of time it takes the US SSA to respond and got a very unhelpful stock answer.

If they don't cash the check soon, banks might not accept it.

Joanne
Joanne
user 13203032
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 16
Well, I got my answer today. Wrote to SSA on October 4, 2011 and got the record in the mail today, Jan. 27, 2012. Four months!