addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Irish / British Genealogy Group Message Board › Question you may be able to help with.

Question you may be able to help with.

Megan
user 14511553
Saint Louis, MO
Post #: 242
OK guys. You've been doing this alot longer than me so maybe you can help me figure this out. I need advice on where to let up and where to keep steady with info.

My gran is still alive, but doesn't remember TOO much about her father. In fact, almost everything she's said isn't coming up in FreeBMD or ancestry.

Let me print the PDF with his info. How can I take this info and figure out who any of his relations might be? Do I just start switching all the dates around? Do I guess that gran may have gotten some birthdays messed up?

The only things I've decided/discovered on my own was that he spent a good bit of time in Suffolk county, and that he MIGHT have been part of the royal engineers in WW1.

Here's the PDF. http://www.endoflogic...­

How's one continue on?

Joanne
user 13203032
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 37
Hi, Megan - you have some dates for him, and a location in England so you have a thread you can start to unravel. I'd go to census reports next and I would also try researching his wife and daughter. You also have another clue in that you think he may have served with the British Roayl Engineers in WWI, so you could try military records. Since you think Gran may have gotten dates wrong, be sure to look in different years. Joanne
Mary C.
user 72968532
New York, NY
Post #: 1
I've noticed that some of my "family stories" information were not always correct. Dates may be different than the person remembers.

Have you tried using familysearch.org? It's free and I've found information on that site. Go with an open mind and search around, you might find that the dates your gran remembers might be slightly off a year or two.

Good luck!
Megan
user 14511553
Saint Louis, MO
Post #: 243
There were ALOT of guys with the same name born within the same few years who were in the military around the same time. Some of these within Suffolk.

Have tried family-search, if you're talking about the LDS one. That was where I first got the marriage date.

Maybe I'll try shuffling some of the dates around, but that might just be a way to mess it all up.
Joe K.
roughhead
New York, NY
Post #: 1
My mom's father she knew very little about as he died when she very young and the families did not speak. She thought he was born in Leeds. Turns out it's Wisconsin. Oops.

Sometimes it's easier to go after a sibling, or spouse, especially if they have an unusual name.

One very helpful thing was to talk to my mom (who at 80 is still sharp as a tack) about stories. "They said I looked like Elizabeth, his sister." Okay, now I know there is a sister Elizabeth, and that "He was supposed to have lived in Boston, he had a son Graham by his first wife." But some of what was told to her was wrong, or incomplete. Her mom was very vague about some info. I find that when I talk with my mom and she gets on a roll, story after story comes out, and some of them have clues.

I found my grandfather in part, because of his brother's draft card. His name was indexed incorrectly. This gave me an address that led me to the census records. Does he have a brother that served whose name might be less common?

I would also check Whepstead, especially if it is a small town and you know his denomination. The church might have records about his burial, his death date, and who else is in the plot.

Joe
Megan
user 14511553
Saint Louis, MO
Post #: 252
In this case, my gran has no recollection of any of Frederick's siblings or relatives at all. There is one photo of him in existence, and he is wearing his military hat, but have fully yet been able to find anything from it. Gran did say he was a wheel-write, which hasn't helped either.

And the sibling thing was how I found Florence, his wife.