The Irish / British Genealogy Group Message Board › Phishing Scam - Be Aware of Phony Emails

Phishing Scam - Be Aware of Phony Emails

Joanne
user 13203032
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 83
All, I have been receiving emails for the past few weeks purported to be from an Irish-based legitimate insurance company Permanent TSB (Dublin & Cork). The emails tell me my account has been closed (never had an account with them) and to click on a link (which I have not done).

I contacted the insurance company directly today. They told me they have been victims of a phishing scam with emails being sent to hundreds of people in Ireland & the USA. If you open the email or click on the link within the phony email, the scammers ask for personal information. The company is aware of the scam and is working to resolve the problem from their end.

I have no idea how my email got into the hands of scammers. It could be from anywhere. But since we all have an interest in things Irish, I though you should be aware that this is going on and to be very careful if you see any emails purporting to be from this company.

Thanks!
christine
user 45210342
Bayside, NY
Post #: 2
Thanks Joanne. The more informed you are the better to protect yourself. You need to be wary of any emails you don't recognize because this is a common scam tactic.
Joanne W.
user 119445272
New York, NY
Post #: 1
I have received a few purported to be from banks in Ireland, such as AIB telling me that my account has been closed (again I have never had an account) and a link to click on -- again I haven't clicked on any of them ---