addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Irish / British Genealogy Group Message Board › Free Genealogy Class this Thur (3/19) at NYPL 42nd St - 2:15pm

Free Genealogy Class this Thur (3/19) at NYPL 42nd St - 2:15pm

Patrick
user 9112510
New York, NY
Post #: 1
Hi Group (and Bridget)

Just a heads up for those who don't know about the wonderful Genealogy Department (Humanities and Social Sciences Library) at the New York Public Library's Main Branch at 42nd St and 5th Ave. This Thursday Mar 19, at 2:15pm for about 1-1 1/2 hours, it's called "Uncovering Your Roots: An Introduction to Genealogy Research". It's a free slide show lecture, while you sit in front of computers, with lots of good handouts to research links and websites. Afterwards you can head over to room 121 and login and continue with your own Real research. The Library (at this branch) has ALL the online website that you have to pay hundreds and thousands of dollars for from home, paid for and free for anyone who wanders in (library card not needed). I've been able to download a photocopy of my Mother's Passenger ship manifest from 1947 (gave me lots of valuable research material unknown to me before), and photocopies of both parent's NYC Naturalization paperwork and their signatures (my Father's mouth dropped when he saw this). Just about ALL of Ancestry.com is already paid for, ready for you to research all it's content. Bring a USB Thumbdrive to save your work and take home. I saw last year at the 34thSt/Madison Ave Library that they sold 1 GB Thumbdrive for $10 (no tax). Probably same at this Branch.

More info about Genealogy at NYPL http://www.nypl.org/r...­

They have:
* Origins Network - Irish, British and Scottish genealogy information online, featuring the Griffith's Valuation of Ireland. Access to Origins Network is available on-site at the Humanities & Social Sciences Library.
* Tithe Applotment Books, 1823-1832 (microfiche)
* Griffith's Valuation, 1848-1864 (microfiche) – Searchable online in Origins Network.
* Family Tree Maker Index toTithe Applotment Books on CD-ROM
* All-Ireland Heritage Microfiche Indexes to Griffith's Valuation of Ireland
* Emigrant Savings Bank Records 1841-1945 - Searchable online in Ancestry Library Edition’s Immigration Collection. Access to Ancestry Library Edition is available on-site at all NYPL locations.

Maybe we can have an informal meeting here if people are interested. I remember seeing somewhere that they have rooms available for maybe 1 or 2 hours for small group meeting, for free. I don't remember which Branch I saw this at.

-Patrick J.