addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Irish / British Genealogy Group Message Board › English Handwriting: An Online Course (late-medieval and early modern)

English Handwriting: An Online Course (late-medieval and early modern)

Patrick
user 9112510
New York, NY
Post #: 15
Hi Group

I've had problems deciphering my own Mother's birth certificate. People's handwriting in Ireland just 80 years ago was hard for me to read. Many times it's been hard to read the 1901 Census or other historical documents. I've come across a website called Scriptorium from the University of Cambridge that might be helpful. The have an free online course using actual medieval and early modern English Manuscripts. You will find a set of articles describing the development of English Handwriting, writing methods and technologies. With many examples (scanned, digitized) of each letter (Aa, Bb, Cc, etc).
Hope this will be helpful for everyone.

-Patrick