addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Irish / British Genealogy Group Message Board › Traditional Irish Naming Patterns for Children

Traditional Irish Naming Patterns for Children

Patrick
user 9112510
New York, NY
Post #: 17
Hi Group
We were discussing the traditional Irish naming for Children at our last meeting. Here are my notes that I've collected over time from different sources...

Traditional Irish Naming Patterns for Children:

The 1st son was usually named after the father's father
The 2nd son was usually named after the mother's father
The 3rd son was usually named after the father
The 4th son was usually named after the father's eldest brother
The 5th son was usually named after the mother's eldest brother

The 1st daughter was usually named after the mother's mother
The 2nd daughter was usually named after the father's mother
The 3rd daughter was usually named after the mother
The 4th daughter was usually named after the mother's eldest sister
The 5th daughter was usually named after the father's eldest sister

Any further children are named by the parents' choice.

If this pattern would result in a duplication of names — i.e., both grandfathers had the same name — then they would skip to the next one on the list.

Naming after an eldest Brother/Sister would pull in the Great GrandParents' Name when you think about it.

It would be pretty hard to convince a new mother of her first-born son to name him after a drunken, abusive father-in-law rather than her own beloved father who had just died.

If a child died, the name was often used again. If a baby died, the next child of the same sex would often be given the same name. If you see George in the 1850 census as a six year old and then in the 1860 census as an eight year old, it may mean the first one died shortly after the 1850 census was taken.

-Patrick
Bridget
user 8700760
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 23
If only my ancestors had been militant about following above with all their children, not just the first few it would have made my research easier! Thanks for the info.

Did you ever come across naming patterns for middle names or was it all arbitrary?