|Sent on:||Tuesday, September 11, 2012 9:49 PM|
It was great to be at the meeting at the House Gastropub tonight, after missing last time. We had 8 members attending, including a couple of new faces. (Meeting new people and hearing their stories is one of my favorite parts of these meetings.) As usual, we began with introductions all around. I especially find that useful because it helps me to understand the point of view behind the comments of the other members. I shared a mini-topic I had prepared that I called "A Matter of Identity", which was intended to express my ideas about who we are as a group and what our goals are. I had worked out 5 statements that I felt basically expressed how I see the "vision" (intent) of the group:
1. Provide a Pagan outlet for people who have none (for socializing, exchanging ideas, for rituals and group events)
2. Provide a different Pagan outlet for people who do have one already (more public, more diverse, different people)
3. Provide an outlet for people who wish to help and support other Pagans and the Pagan community of Central AR
4. Provide an outlet for people who wish to help publicize Paganism as an alternative belief
5. Provide an outlet for people who want to help publicize the idea of tolerance for other ways of thinking (regardless of beliefs)
Of course, this is my point of view, and certainly is not set in stone. What I list here in these 5 I do believe, but much of my intent in voicing this was to hear other opinions on the subject. The conversation was lively after that and grew more so as the night continued.
The conversation strayed after that to some wonderful topics. (It's like watching a movie-- you never really know what's going to happen next.) For next time we still have Vincent's topic that he was going to present tonight if there was time, and also a topic from one of the new members coming up soon.
I find myself wishing that the next meeting were tomorrow, but I hear that patience is a virtue, so I'll wait. Our next meeting will be Tuesday, October 2nd, at 7 pm at the House Gastropub again. I do hope to see you all there!
Have a great day.