The London Educational Games Meetup Group (#LEGup) Message Board › Edugames Meetup Roundup

Edugames Meetup Roundup

Kirsten C.
KirstenCHowes
Group Organizer
London, GB
Hi All

Thanks to those who came to the most recent meetup on 14th September. An extra thanks to those who travelled big distances to make it; we had attendees from Wales, the West Country and Aberdeen!

First up, Alistair Maggs from Chaos Created gave us some fascinating insights into his work creating language teaching games in Flash, plus his transmedia, location-based video projects for the Windows phone (amongst many other strings to his bow). Watch out for his cool new project: Zombies Ate My City.

Next, Agata Stadnik showed us her beautiful project, Motionary, which uses video improvisation to teach vocabulary and cultural differences in the comprehension of language. Agata is looking for potential partners and investors to help draw wider attention to her prototype - any group members with investor credentials should sit up and take note - we were all seriously impressed by what Agata has done.

Finally, one of our newest group members, Sanna Wennberg, gave us a brief overview of her project to safeguard the 450 trees hidden in Elephant and Castle, and to draw public attention to the value of trees. Sanna asked the group to help conceive of an app or game that could publicize the project. We were all quite captivated by the possibilities, and several proposals were made. (Big thanks to Alistair Maggs for offering to help Sanna draw up some ideas). If you are interested in the project, take a look at the Urban Forest project website.

News: the group now has 100 members! I'm stunned and very pleased that we've grown so big so quickly, and delighted with the feedback I've been getting from attendees.

I'm now on the hunt for a new, more central venue for the monthly meetups, and am also looking for a sponsor. Any suggestions on either would be greatly appreciated.

The date for the October meetup will be announced shortly. Board game fans will be pleased to hear we'll be talking tabletop games as well as digital.

Happy gaming/games making.

Kirsten