The London Educational Games Meetup Group (#LEGup) Message Board › LEGup app testing event - feedback needed

LEGup app testing event - feedback needed

Kirsten C.
KirstenCHowes
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 2
We're trialling a new event and we'd like your feedback. Is this something you'd be interested in taking part in, and would you like it to be run differently? Thanks for your comments!

Event name: Educational Games Testing with Playtest UK

We're trialling a new event for games developers and playtesters: a chance for you to get some focused and high-quality feedback on your digital or analogue game projects, from fellow developers and #LEGup members. The number of attendees for this first trial event will be strictly limited to only 20 spaces.

Developers who are bringing a project to be playtested will account for 10 spaces and the remaining 10 spaces will be for playtesters, who will give feedback on the projects.

Each developer will be given 2 x 30 mins playtesting rounds to show their project to a group of playtesters and get feedback and comments on how their game can be further developed. The event will be on a weekday from 7pm and will last for approximately 2 hours with small intervals. There will also be time for you to continue the discussion into the social parts of the evening.

In order to encompass the two types of attendees, two meetups will be created for each single Educational Games Testing event; the first for the 10 developers and the second for the 10 playtesters.

The first meetup scheduled for the event will provide the opportunity to RSVP for one of the 10 developer spaces. (A £15 sign-up fee payable via PayPal is also required). Please bring a version of your project that can be reviewed by the playtesters, i.e. you will need to provide any device that your game requires. There will be Wi-Fi at the venue, however it can be unreliable. If your project relies purely on Wi-Fi, it may be worth re-thinking your participation.

The second meetup for the event will be for the 10 playtesters to RSVP their places. There is no charge for #LEGup members to playtest the developer’s projects. We hope that this will be a fun experience, as well as giving an insight into development and an opportunity to provide input that will shape future games.

Developers are encouraged to use the event creatively and according to their needs. You can choose to watch and take notes while others play, ask questions or participate in the playtesting yourself.

Harvey
e.Tsar
Chislehurst, GB
Post #: 3
Hi I'd like to participate as both developer (3 games/apps to show) and tester (support other developers by analyzing product strategy, usability, technical, UX, anything specific dev want reviewed/critiqued) .

I am not sure if you meant that both parties will be playing both roles or is there 2 mutually-exclusive set of DEVS and TEST folk.
Rob H.
user 11129400
Surbiton, GB
Post #: 25
Hello Harvey,

Thanks for your interest.

The event is organised so that the playtesters(TEST) will only test, but the developers(DEV) will present their games and also test other's games. We thought it important that the projects get feedback from LEGup developers as well as other LEGup members.
Paul B W.
bookbuddi
Dagenham, GB
Post #: 1
Great idea to get some good feedback on projects. I would like to have bookbuddi tested, Thanks Paul.
Lavanya
user 32153132
London, GB
Amazing idea!! and I wish we have more of these where game designers can test the game at any level of fidelity including paper prototypes. I am more than happy to playtest and offer a detailed analysis from the player experience point of view along with the bio-metrics.
Kirsten C.
KirstenCHowes
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 3
Hi Lavanya. We certainly envisaged testing paper prototypes - the best time for testing most probably. Thanks for your suggestion and offer.
joshua
user 15591971
London, GB
Definitely interested in doing some testing and hope I can get to some of these sessions. The format sounds like a good way to start. Over time I'd be interested in working with other to develop some kind of 'heuristics'/guideline for this kind of testing/evaluation.

Josh
Rob H.
user 11129400
Surbiton, GB
Post #: 26
The two meetups for the Testing event have now been created. Feel free to sign up.

Best wishes, Rob
Rob H.
user 11129400
Surbiton, GB
Post #: 27
Last night, we had the first Educational Games Playtesting meetup. There were 6 developers showing prototypes and 16 playtesters. The plan is that this will become a regular monthly event.

The meetup garnered positive responses from developers and playtesters, but there is always room for improvement, so please feel free to comment here is you have any suggestions on how the event can evolve in the future.
Rob H.
user 11129400
Surbiton, GB
Post #: 30
The 2nd #LEGup Playtesting event with Playtest UK has been scheduled for the 28th August, with RSVPs opening tomorrow.

After this month's successful debut, the event has been updated as a result of the attendee's useful feedback. There will be refreshments and improved feedback forms. Comments on developers also playtesting were mixed, but we've kept this for now as it was useful to get feedback from other developers and it helps to foster a helpful and community atmosphere.

If you would like to attend as a developer please RSVP here­.

If you would like to attend as a playtester, please RSVP here­.

The places are limited, so please book early and if you are unable to attend, give as much notice as possible so others may take your place. A waiting list will be in operation for the event.