This event is on rain or shine!
We are meeting at the "M" on the map --> HERE (click ON the map to get a bigger version)
There is a small parking area on Deer Lake Drive, but you are advised to park at the City Hall parking lot and walk over
Getting yourself there
Transit. To find out the best route go to:http://www.translink.bc.ca type in the location you are starting from, the destination and the date and time you will be begin the trip.
Carpool. There are often Lower Mainland Green Team volunteers willing to provide a ride! If you need a ride log into your meetup account, click on "join us" on this page and leave a message briefly describing where you can offer or need a ride from. You can also leave a message at the bottom of this page in the box where it says "post a comment". Don't forget to chip in for gas if you get a ride ($5 for every hour of drive is about right).
Your organizer also sends an email reminder to everyone signed up to participate a day before the event and your request for a ride may be included so send an email to: [masked]
Cycle. There are bicycle maps here:http://vancouver.ca/engsvcs/transport/cycling/bikeways/maps.htm
- Meet at 9.45am (please don't be late)
- Walk to site. Note: if you are late follow a sign with an arrow
- Policeman's Helmet removal from 10am - 1pm (with breaks and refreshments
- At 1pm, for those interested, we'll explore the park and have our packed lunches until around 2pm.
What to bring
- Your rain jacket in case it is raining. Don't let the rain scare you off, our events are still fun in the rain!
- If it's sunny, bring a hat and sunscreen
- Gardening gloves if you have them (otherwise they'll be provided for you)
- Ideal footwear: waterproof hiking boots, sturdy outdoor shoes, rubber boots. No open toe shoes, heels or fashionable shoes/boots
- Wear clothes you don't mind getting dirty
- Long sleeves and long pants are ideal (this will help reduce scratches from thorny plants that you may brush up against)
- Water (to bring with you to the work site) - Please don't forget this
- If you are sticking around at 1pm for the walk, bring a packed lunch.
What will be provided for you
- Gloves, tools and equipment. If you have your own gardening gloves, feel free to bring them.
- Snacks for the break
- Instruction - the City of Burnaby will give you the run down about the work we will be doing (you don't need to have experience to participate). There will be a safety talk and an orientation of the site.
- A volunteer letter emailed to you after the event to confirm your hours if you need it
About Policeman's Helmet
To learn more about this invasive plant please click --> HERE
About Deer Lake
Deer Lake has trails wandering through forest, meadow and marsh areas. There is lots of wildlife, especially a wide variety of birds (i.e. owls)
City of Burnaby