This event is on rain or shine!
We will be meeting at a parking lot in Iona. Follow Ferguson road westward until the end. Please look at the inset on the top left side of the following map for directions to the parking lot, it is just west of the "south marsh"http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/maps/Maps/Ionamap.pdf
CLICK on the following interactive map:
Interactive map of meeting spot
Getting yourself there
Carpool. There are often Lower Mainland Green Team volunteers willing to provide a ride! If you need a ride log into your meetup account, click on "join us" on this page and leave a message briefly describing where you can offer or need a ride from. You can also leave a message at the bottom of this page in the box where it says "post a comment". Don't forget to chip in for gas if you get a ride ($5 for every hour of drive is about right).
Your organizer also sends an email reminder to everyone signed up to participate a day before the event and your request for a ride may be included so send an email to: [masked]
There is no transit to this location
Cycle. There are bicycle maps here (great cycling in this area!) :http://vancouver.ca/engsvcs/transport/cycling/bikeways/maps.htm
- Meet at 9.45 am (please don't be late)
- Walk to site. Note: if you are late follow a sign with an arrow
- Remove scotch broom and clean-up 10am - 1pm (with breaks and refreshments).
What to bring
- Your rain jacket in case it is raining. Our events in the rain have still been great fun!
- If it's sunny, bring a hat and sunscreen
- Gardening gloves if you have them (otherwise they'll be provided for you)
- Ideal footwear: waterproof hiking boots, sturdy outdoor shoes, rubber boots. No open toe shoes, heels or fashionable shoes/boots
- Wear clothes you don't mind getting dirty
- Long sleeves and long pants are ideal (this will help reduce scratches from thorny plants that you may brush up against).
- Water (to bring with you to the work site) - Please don't forget this
What will be provided for you
- Gloves, tools and equipment. If you have your own gardening gloves, feel free to bring them
- Snacks for the break
- Instruction - Metro Vancouver Parks staff will give you the run down about the work we will be doing (you don't need to have experience to participate). There will be a safety talk and an orientation of the site.
- A volunteer letter emailed to you after the event to confirm your hours if you need it
About Iona Beach
This is a scenic beach park just minutes away from Vancouver International Airport. There is a 4 km jetty for walking and biking. There are two habitats here, the sand dune and estuarine dune meadow both rare and home to a provincially red-listed plant community. The sand dune is home habitat to the federally endangered species the horned lark.
About Scotch broom
To learn more about this invasive plant please click HERE
Metro Vancouver Parks