The Maryland Science & Skepticism Meetup Group Message Board › Meeting about a book. Which book? Any suggestions?

Meeting about a book. Which book? Any suggestions?

Marjeta
marjeta
Columbia, MD
Leonie suggested we'd all read a book and have a discussion group, and I think this is a wonderful idea.

I'm a member of two book clubs, and I know this can be fun, but sometimes people don't have time to read the book.

So, my idea is that we pick a book on a topic that we are all interested it. Then, at the meeting, the people who rad the book (or at least parts of it) would present what they learned from the book. Then we would have a discussion about that topic.

Sounds interesting?

If yes, please nominate a book. Or a few books.

After I get some suggestions, I fill post a poll at the group's website (http://skeptics.meetu...­) and we can pick the book we're most interested in.

You can respond to this email, or you can go to the message board and reply there.
Chris I.
user 5587265
Columbia, MD
Post #: 2
I've been listening to the whole Dune series of sci-fi books and they are just LOADED with views and comments a skeptic would love. If you see a copy in a book store - particularly the later books, not the so much the first one - flip through and read the quotes that start off each chapter. There's some good stuff in there that comes through even if you aren't familiar with the settings or characters (though that knowledge helps).

If you've at least seen the movie (and I suggest the longer version if you can get it, and I've got it) you can easily pick up the over-arching themes such as how the Bene Gesserit organization uses fabricated and altered religion to control and shape humanity.

The series can be hard reading at times for the non-sci-fi oriented.
Brad
user 6836698
Baltimore, MD
I've got Death By Blackhole, Letter to a Christian Nation and Physics of the Impossible all lingering dustily on my nightstand. Any extra motivation to pick them back up would be great!

Hint hint.
Tim
user 9233672
Columbia, MD
Post #: 1
I would recommend the book "Life of Pi". I don't recall the author off hand, but Google knows. I think it would be a great book for a skeptics group since its has themes of the value of world views independent of total factuality (is that a real word).

Another book I really enjoyed was Michael Shermer's "How We Believe". I tend to like Shermer more than Dawkin's and some of the other more militant folks.
Mark M.
user 5942782
Hagerstown, MD
I'm a new member just joined, I've got two suggestions that are appropriate for this group;

1) Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond. A fantastic book about the rise of civilizations.
2) A 4-page paper I wrote on the origins of life that I would like to get the groups feedback on, called Ockhams Delight.

Regards.
Mark