The Melbourne Environmental & Sustainability Group Message Board › Changing the Dream/Awakening the Dreamer Symposium

Changing the Dream/Awakening the Dreamer Symposium

Pam M
user 10528682
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 2
Hi all,

As I promised to a number of 'Global Cooler' members, here is a link to the Australian Changing the Dream website - www.bethechange.org.au­

"Be The Change Australia's purpose is to educate, inspire and empower individuals, organisations and communities on the path to a sustainable, just and fulfilling future.

We do this through harnessing the catalytic capacity of the 'Awakening the Dreamer, Changing the Dream’ Symposium Initiative across Australia, and by building a connected passionate community of people who stand for this vision.

Be The Change supports Symposium events, Symposium Leader Trainings, Generation Waking Up Youth Program, Jump Up Primary School Program and other aligned activities around Australia.

What is the Symposium?

Designed by The Pachamama Alliance with the collaboration of some of the finest scientific, indigenous and activist minds in the world, the Symposium explores the current state of our planet from a new perspective, and connects participants with a powerful global movement to reclaim our future.

For information about upcoming symposiums in your area see http://www.pachamama....­ and www.changingthedream.org.au"

Lynette W
user 10649148
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 5
Thanks for this Pam. I think there is a great similarity between the goals of Be the Change, Transitions and Sustainability Street groups, but maybe I am missing something. Anyway it's all good. Do you have a copy of the film 'Awakening the Dreamer' that is advertised on their website? Maybe we could watch it as a group.
Pam M
user 10528682
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 3
Hi Lynette,

Yes, I believe I do. Actually prompts me to check as there is some concern that the DVD isn't working for some people. I'll review over the w/end and yes, I can arrange a showing. Let's talk about what will work.

Cheers,
Pam
MATTHEW
user 63572412
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 4
Hi,

I think that 'Awakening the Dreamer, Changing the Dream’ Symposium Initiative is a great project.

My thoughts are that what is important is to educate children in particular (and adults too) so that they are literate and understand term such as sustainabilty, environment, climate change, carbon cycle, etc,etc and once they have an understanding they can appreciate, understand and make informed decisions regards issues at stake. (rather than read Bolt et al in the newspaper???)

Also in order to improve something it is imprtant to be able to measure something. Currently (most) nations measure in GDP which might measure ECONOMIC welbeing but does not measure COMMUMNITY or ENVIRONMENT wellbeing. Are we not a community first and foremost and the economy is only part.

Matthew