The Melbourne Quantified Self Meetup Group Message Board › Is anyone tracking using apps on thier smartphones?

Is anyone tracking using apps on thier smartphones?

Paul K.
user 40266402
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 5
Hey Guys

I was wondering what apps if any people are using on thier smartphones to self track.

Recently i have been interested in reducing anxiety and one thing i am focusing on is improving the amount and quality of sleep i get every night.

Currently i have been using a android app called "sleep as android" that uses the accelerometer in your phone to track how much you toss and turn during the night and uses that data to rate how well you have slept. I believe the fitbit does something similar.

Once i have a rough baseline without interventions i am going to try some different things to see if i can reliably improve my sleep.

Has anyone tried something similar or used different apps on their smartphones to get interesting data?
Kiran
user 74060182
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 1
I've been using Zeo mobile since October. I did the same thing, got a baseline without interventions first. I started doing their coaching which I really liked, was improving my sleep but Christmas etc has thrown things off.

Really interesting (to me) is that my actual sleep turned out to be surprisingly typical for my demographic. That's reassuring, but also confirms what I always suspected: I simply need more than most to feel optimal. Or maybe it's just that unlike most people I don't drink coffee, so I notice the tiredness that they have but don't feel.
Matthew F.
user 69363082
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 1
Beeminder, Fitbit, and Zeo on my iPhone; all occasionally (Beeminder input is mostly from my mac, Fitbit mostly automatically collected from my One or my Aria).
Zeo is annoying because it so very nearly could be an excellent polyphasic sleep tracker, but isn't for reasons of casually bad design.
Paul K.
user 40266402
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 7
Do you guys know if these apps/devices allow you to export the data to excel?

Ideally anything I use from now on will need to let me export data to common location for comparison.

Phil told me that fitbit charges extra if you want to export your data.
Adam
user 9578943
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 2
I have an iPhone 4s, which is required as a minimum for automatic transfer of data from any fitbit device.
I use Habit List to track progress on habits (they are maximum frequency of weekly at the moment, but the developer tells me they are adding fortnightly and monthly shortly). It is good and evolving nicely; I don't know if it can export to Excel. I use fitbit too. The other things I use daily, less for tracking and more for keeping momentum are Gratitude! and Bloom*. I'm also learning Spanish at the moment and I am using Duolingo and Spanish as supplements to my classroom work (both of these apps track my learning progress). I am pretty new to the idea of collating data in Excel or somewhere to analyse and I'd be keen to learn more about it.
Jon
user 4092727
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 19
Experimenting with Jawbone Up. Interesting so far. Cant export though.

As much as data is important, I was also researching how alcohol, coffee and food intake/combination (by quantity and time) had a big impact on the quality of my sleep. Alkaline diets, stress, light, noise, exercise, quality of air, circadian rhythm etc are other variables I measured that impacted sleep