Nigel
KingofMurgos
Group Organizer
Winston Salem, NC
Post #: 5
So it seems we all have diverse interests in the group.
Which I reckon is fantastic - it's a big multiverse and unfortunately time is finite, so I need help finding the good stuff out there tongue

So for starters, here's my suggested list:
Books:
David & Leigh Eddings - The Belgariad, Mallorean, and Elenium particularly.
Terry Pratchett - The Discworld novels in particular (my faves are Small Gods and the Guards series)
R.A. Salvatore - all things Drizzt Do'Urden (The Forgotten Realms stuff he did)
Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time - It takes approximately six months to read the entire series (not counting the last two books, which I haven't got around to yet) assuming you stop sleeping, showering and going to work. But the climactic sequences are worth the hard slog - believe me :)
And Tolkien of course - but isn't he on everyone's list?

TV:
Buffy & Angel - nuff said :)
Farscape - I can rave about this show for hours... and will, unless you go out and watch it!
Firefly - not as weird as Farscape, but definitely heading that way :)
Red Dwarf - the first four seasons (it gets progressively less worth the effort beyond this.
Blackadder - Because you must. (OK, a bit off topic, but the closest thing to a fantasy sitcom I've seen!)
Twin Peaks - still an oddity in its own right. I call it a fantasy crime drama... but it's so much more :)
Carnivale - bizarre and compelling - but they axed it just when it was hitting its stride... bastards.

Film:
Um... Actually, I'm going to leave this one blank, because I'm woefully behind in my film watching... But I look forward to others' recommendations!

So please add your fave lists too - life is too short to have to figure this stuff out for ourselves :)

N.

A former member
Post #: 1
Great list Nigel... here's mine!

Books: this is going to be my blank list because I like to read about TV Shows I'm into (especially Buffy and Angel). If comics count, I'm really into Buffy season 8 and Angel season 6 :)

TV: Buffy, Angel (I can't overstate my obsession enough!), Dexter, Roswell, Torchwood, Merlin although I have a massive obsession with awesome cooking shows.

Movies: Harry Potter, Paranormal Activity and too many to mention (although not really sci fi, I make a living out of writing about the hottest movies going around...)

That's me done, not as extensive as yours Nigel but oh well...
A former member
Post #: 4
Ok, here's my proverbial two cents worth:

Books
'The Chronicles of Narnia' by C S Lewis
'The Hbbit/LoTR' by our friend J R R T
'The Witches of Eileanan' (6 books) and 'Rhiannon's Ride' (trilogy) by Kate Forsyth
'The Castings Trilogy' by Pamela Freeman
'The 13 and a half lives of Captain Bluebear' by Walter Moers
'The Hollow chocolate bunnies of the apolcalypse' by Steven Rankin (this book had me laughing so hard in every chapter I nearly peed myself!)
'The Tales of Earthsea' by Ursula Le Guin

TV
Twin Peaks - totally agree, Nigel - great pick!
Red Dwarf

Movies
Narnia, LoTR, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Superman, Star Wars, Dreamscape, Ladyhawke, Beastmaster
Nigel
KingofMurgos
Group Organizer
Winston Salem, NC
Post #: 7
Thanks Sarah & Tabitha :)

Good stuff for me to go looking up.

But I just realised I forgot something from the TV section: Star Trek!

So, my favourite Star Trek TV series, in order:
Star Trek ToS (The original Series)
DS9
Voyager
TNG
Enterprise

I guess I sorta assumed everyone had already seen them... probably a dumb assumption :)

But once you've seen them, you have to go watch the movie "Fanboys" as a corrective!

N.
Gen
user 11480451
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 5
Hmm, I may have to do this by installments. So many things on my list of loves! As a reading fanatic first then, here's my shortlist of booksI<3 by genre:

Collected Short Works

• The Chains That You Refuse by Elizabeth Bear: a stellar collection of short fiction and poetry in a relatively slim volume, which can easily fit into a purse or laptop bag for your commute
  • Collected Short Fiction of CJ Cherryh by CJ Cherryh: a decades-spanning collection of short fiction and poetry from one of the most prolific fantasy and sci-fi authors (volume is also hefty enough to double as a doorstop for most-sized fortress gates)
  • Beyond This Dark House by Guy Gavriel Kay: collection of poetry from Canada's top historical fantasy author (this slim hardcover volume down the shirt could also help ladies masquerade as youths when enlisting in their gender-restricted armed force of choice)

New / Up&Coming Fantasy

• Chronicles of the Necromancer series by Gail Z Martin: superb ongoing novels by an up-and-coming British author, this is also the flagship series of the start-up fantasy publisher Solaris.
  • Study trilogy by Maria V Snyder: original and refreshing ideas, particularly in the first volume - view a fantasy world through the eyes of a condemned poison-taster!
  • The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher: a fun and action-packed ongoing series about a private investigator with a paranormal portfolio who moonlights for the Chicago PD to put food on his table.

Fantasy Staples
(i.e. my all-time favourite ground-breakers in Fantasy)

• The Sun Sword books by Michelle Sagara West (aka Michelle West): hands-down my favourite fantasy books ever - drawing on her roots as a (I believe) modern poetry major her style of writing is lyrical and captivating, yet not overly verbose. Words applied with the precision of a painter's brushstrokes, IMO! And the lands & characters she creates have all the depth you could ask for.
  • Fortress series by CJ Cherryh: I first read this when I was fairly new to fantasy, so it definitely holds some nostalgia value in my heart. However, even without that extra affection I'd still rate this as one of the top fantasy works I've read - as a stranger in this strange land too, you really identify with the protagonist as he makes his own journey to learn the workings of the existence he finds himself in.
  • Coldfire Trilogy by CS Friedman: right from the get-go I was captivated - the world that Friedman depicts is just fascinating on so many levels. The historical back-story (only briefly touched upon) is about as sci-fi as this tale gets though - these novels are almost pure fantasy with a pseudo-scientific nod to explaining the "magic" thrown in. Innovative ideas & certainly a great read!
  • The Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman: another of my earlier forays into fantasy, but also one that stuck with me. This multi-volume epic takes you through a reality quite muddled-with... to some very interesting results and repercussions!

Cyberpunk

• Otherland series by Tad Williams: absolutely, out-of-the-ballpark best cyberpunk literature I've ever read. I would recommend this series to pretty much ANYONE, be they fans of fantasy, sci-fi, cyberpunk, contemporary fiction or newsfeeds! It's literally got something for everyone - and with its huge cast of characters, exotic locations of all types, and constantly interweaving storylines it is impossible to get bored with this story. Do yourself a huge favour and read it! :)
  • Johnny Mnemonic by William Gibson: probably only available in anthologies, this short story helped define cyberpunk as a genre. Definitely give it a glance if you can!

Sci-Fi Staples
(I'm much less of a sci-fi buff, but here are some not-to-miss titles)

• Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card: this well-renowned "classic" tops my sci-fi list! Follow the child prodigy Ender on his mission to save mankind.
  • Foundation by Isaac Asimov: another sci-fi "classic" set in the far distant future, where one man sees destruction looming for human civilization and tries to avert disaster.
  • Dune by Frank Herbert: rounding out my top 3 sci-fi picks, this novel takes you through a very intricately constructed storyline and world full of politics, technology and character development. Satisfying read!

My commentary has gotten decidedly shorter in the last category. I think that means I should draw this Favourites post installment to a close. Once I recharge, I'll be back for more opinion-dishing. I just can't help myself... ;)
Nigel
KingofMurgos
Group Organizer
Winston Salem, NC
Post #: 14
Wow! laughing

Impressive list there Gen!
I've heard of only a few ... so there's plenty there for me to investigate!!!
I'm getting an increasingly cheery vibe about this Cherryh person, so I'll probably start there...

Thanks!

N.
Gen
user 11480451
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 6
Excellent! And don't forget to try Tad Williams' aforementioned Otherland series at some point too. If there's one title I'd recommend to anyone/everyone interested in sci-fi and fantasy literature, it's the first volume: City of Golden Shadow! Upon finishing it, if you don't immediately want to go out and get the next installment straightaway I will eat my... very unappetising... uh... whatever that is in the back of my fridge.

Also, ye book lovers of this Meetup, prithee come join me in book-dorkiness on Goodreads if you're interested! :)
A former member
Post #: 10
Oh Gen! You've just reminded me of a classic I left off my list. Stephen King's The Dark Tower series.
This seven-book bizarre mix of epic fantasy/sci-fi/western genres is King's lifelong work that he began writing at age 19 and finished in his 40s? I heard there was a movie of it, but am still investigating that one...anyway, it's a highly recommended read for anyone looking for something a bit out of the ordinary!
Gen
user 11480451
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 13
Yeah, I've heard the Dark Tower series is great! It's been on my to-read list for far too long. Must make it a priority...
Bob B.
bobblanchett
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 15
#3RRRFM new podcast: Zero G - 17 January 2011: Zero G 803: LYCANTHROPOD Science Fiction, Fantasy and Historical ... http://bit.ly/gljswZ...­