Metro-Austin Polyamory-Positive Relationships Group Message Board › lifestyle versus Poly

lifestyle versus Poly

Peter S.
user 93891832
Leander, TX
Post #: 1
What is the difference between lifestyle-friendly and Polyamory?
A former member
Most people identify as Poly if they are actively engaged in a poly relationship. Lifestyle friendly means that they are open to those that are living in the lifestyle but not necessarily engaged in the lifestyle fulltime.
I have also seen a list of businesses and medical practitioners that are lifestyle friendly. These lists are particularly helpful to those that live or play in the BDSM lifestyle. After all a submissive woman doesn't want to see a gynecologist when she has a bruised butt unless she know that the doctor is lifestyle friendly.
Peter S.
user 93891832
Leander, TX
Post #: 2
Most people identify as Poly if they are actively engaged in a poly relationship. Lifestyle friendly means that they are open to those that are living in the lifestyle but not necessarily engaged in the lifestyle fulltime.
I have also seen a list of businesses and medical practitioners that are lifestyle friendly. These lists are particularly helpful to those that live or play in the BDSM lifestyle. After all a submissive woman doesn't want to see a gynecologist when she has a bruised butt unless she know that the doctor is lifestyle friendly.

So would you say that lifestyle people are a subset of Poly or rather it is a separate way of living whereby the Poly people choose full time sharing whereas lifestyle people are occasional sharing?
A former member
Post #: 7

To my knowledge and experience, "Lifestyle" is swingers, who are in their bodies primarily and have recreational sex and are usually married to their like-minded spouse...wife-swapping and adult sex parties and the like. You don't "love" the other people you have sex with, yet close friendships develop, etc. Single men are almost totally excluded, but single women are very welcome. The poly structure is also usually "partner" centered, yet that "partnership" could be a triad or gay/lesbian...alternative "core"...then there could be "satellite" love relationships. You typically DO love these others...they are not just sexual playmates...thus, "polyamory" (loving many). The difference between the two is often difficult to discern, as I have found that some calling themselves "poly" are really swingers in disguise with a leaning toward poly. I think it could be said that swingers (lifestyle) are in their bodies with lust in their hearts and poly folks are in their heads with love in their hearts. Generalization for sure....everyone is different and that's another distinction with poly -vs- lifestyle....lifestyle is almost always couples (man and woman, usually married)...whereas Poly "marriage" could be a variety of structures (3 people; 2 women; 2 men; you name it)....from that "marriage", they love others as well, or at least open to it.

On this topic, here are a couple of links to articles I found interesting lately (kinda wordy and a bit of "God" in it, so translate as needed)....

part one...

http://thepresencepor...­

part two...

http://thepresencepor...­
Abby
opalfiremist
Austin, TX
I would say "lifestyle friendly" applies to services. A hotel may be lifestyle friendly, or a club, or a particular event. To me this means they accept, will not discriminate against, and possibly lean towards "alternative" lifestyles, including swinging, bdsm, LGBTQ, etc.

My belief is that polyamory is one of *many* lifestyles that fall within the generalized term, lifestyle friendly.

On May 20, 2013, Peter Sheldon asked:
"What is the difference between lifestyle-friendly and Polyamory?"
Abby
opalfiremist
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
I also want to add in response to one of the other replies on this topic... I believe that people can, and do, identify as poly even if they are not actively practicing polyamory.

For example, someone who is married monogamously and faithfully, but feels that they are polyamorous at heart. Or a couple who have lived the polyamorous "lifestyle", but are currently monogamous with one another, for any number of reasons.

On June 23, 2013 at 1:39PM, Abby wrote:

I would say "lifestyle friendly" applies to services. A hotel may be lifestyle friendly, or a club, or a particular event. To me this means they accept, will not discriminate against, and possibly lean towards "alternative" lifestyles, including swinging, bdsm, LGBTQ, etc.

My belief is that polyamory is one of *many* lifestyles that fall within the generalized term, lifestyle friendly.

On May 20, 2013, Peter Sheldon asked:
"What is the difference between lifestyle-friendly and Polyamory?"