The Missouri Triathlon Meetup Group Message Board › Beginner Triathlon Clothing

Beginner Triathlon Clothing

A former member
Post #: 18
I'm getting ready for my first (sprint) triathlon. Does anyone have recommendations on clothing? I was thinking of purchasing a top and shorts, or I could simply wear my swimsuit and throw clothes on over it in T1. If you think I should purchase something, do you have any favorite pieces?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

A former member
Post #: 16
As a guy, there's no way on earth I'd wear a swimsuit for the entire race, especially the bike. YOW would hurt! I'm a big fan of tri shorts. They've got the nice padding for the ride, plus they're totally comfortable on the swim and run. So I don't have to worry about trying to change clothes through the race. There are tri tops also, to go with the shorts. I'm becoming a fan of these one piece racing singlets, called skin suits. They're great on race day, but took some getting used to.

I would recommend zipping down to your favorite running/biking/triathlon store and trying on some tri shorts and a tri top. They come in an assortment of types, fits, fabrics, and prices. Not only are they great for race day, but they're great for training.

I hope this helps. And good luck on your first tri! Enjoy it. It'll be one to remember.
Joe.