The Mountain Bike Meetup Message Board › MTB purchasing suggestions

MTB purchasing suggestions

Adan
RazorsDragon
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 875
Howdy all! I'm new to this meetup, and I'm very interested in purchasing a MTB. Sadly, I've found it very challenging finding creditable reviews for bikes and gear.... I'm looking for something to be able to tackle the Espada trail and beyond! I would like something affordable, and not something cheap just for me to out grow in a few months for something more expensive, I was told to go on to craigslist, but I feel that is a little redundant buying a used older bike with miles upon miles on it for like 1/2 the retail price. I've taking a liking to the Diamondback Overdrive V 29er, would this be a good starter bike? I was told to avoid Wal-Mart and Academies for their cheaper bikes. I've also checked out bikeworld's website and was completely floored at their prices. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I am a teacher and I'm looking forward to spending my summer (4 more weeks!) on two wheels that doesn't have an engine in it! Thanks!
Adan
RazorsDragon
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 876
Anybody?
Daniel M.
user 9174385
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 220
Budget bike ..airborne 29er
Oscar
user 85730562
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 3
So what is your budget...?
Adan
RazorsDragon
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 877
Oscar my budget ceiling will be 400, and thank you Daniel for the Airborne recommendation their website was real informative..... I'll have all summer to ride, and I honestly think I will enjoy this sport, but as a Wal-Mart shopper that always bought disposable bikes for 60 bucks growing up I sincerely shocked on how much 'good' bikes go for! shock Thanks for the response guys I was getting a little discouraged.....
Daniel M.
user 9174385
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 221
Buy a quality bike ... Save a bit more ... And youbwill be 1000% happier... Save save save
Rick
user 29955362
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 6
go get a Giant Revel, or a Trek 3500, you don't have to spend $1000 - $5000 on a bike to have a good quality bike, many people are tricked into thinking that

that is just funny...a Giant Revel 1, offered in a 29er (about $500 or so) or a Trek 3500 26er (around $440) are about the price you are looking for and nice bikes hitting the trail, enjoy it at that price range and you may want to upgrade bikes to keep up with the Jones but I am not into biking to impress people with how much I spent, I am in it to exercise and have fun

I suggest the Giant, I have a 26er and love it

those bike will hold up well and for a long time and give lots of fun
Enrique
user 4163600
Group Organizer
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 1,541
I have a $700 diamond back bike and I took it to Walnut Creek in Austin. This was several years ago. We rode harder than usual and we went down some long downhills. We did this several times because it was a fun downhill. The front shock absorber gave out. While that bike was in repairs I went to buy a specialized stumpjumper. The guy who sold it to me told me it was a very durable bike and for the last 4 years it has endured a lot of tough rides and a lot of punishment.

I agree with Daniel. Save more money and buy a good bike.

Another story. A member of our group bought some cheaper bike and with a lot of energy and enthusiasm joined us on a few ride. He really was happy to be with us on our rides. What ruined his enthusiasm was that he did not have a good bike. The problem I remember is that his cranks started loosening and sticking out. The bike was coming apart from the cranks somehow. He took it for repairs and it would take forever or there were excuses. We have not seen him again in years so I suppose he gave up. I think his bike was in the 500 to $1000 range. My old diamond-back bike is also in that price range and it did not have crank problems but it was weaker since the shock absorbers failed.

Richard I am sure that somewhere you had posted that your usual speed is about 8 mph. That is not very fast and it will not result in too much stress on your bike. Also you have been a member since November 6, 2011 and you have been to Zero (0) rides with us.

I should add that the diamond back I have is tougher than the target bike I used to ride. Anyway, now Specialized Stumpjumpers are the bike for me.
Enrique
user 4163600
Group Organizer
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 1,542
You mentioned the Espada trail. I am thinking that is mostly concrete so maybe the bike you mentioned is OK for your needs. It should perform OK at McAllister and Leon creek also.
Rick
user 29955362
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 7
Enrique, that was when I first started riding again, my average is about 14-16 mph

I don't ride with you guys because it always seems your rides take place on the other side of town from me or near nightfall (when I work)
I was actually think about making more of an effort on riding with you guys, and taking a friend with me (he also has a Giant), but it seems you guys may look down on the LBS bike we own so I will have to pass

to the OP
your gonna find a lot of people will tell you to spend a lot on a bike (because they did)
and if you don't then they MAY feel foolish for doing so, but the more people they get to spend large amounts on bikes the better they feel about their own purchase...don't get me wrong, usually the more you pay the more you get, but what you gotta look at is, it what do YOU need...

I for 1 don't ride fast down hills, drops, ramps, jumps and generally beat my bike like a rented mule...but if that is what I liked, I would buy a bike with a sturdier frame and better shocks....I simply don't ride like that though...it is up to you on how you will ride or haw hard you will ride