The Mountain Bike Meetup Message Board › MTB purchasing suggestions

MTB purchasing suggestions

A former member
Post #: 37
When I first thought about mountain biking, I emailed my friends and family asking if anybody had a bike sitting in their garage, not being used. The first "loaner" I had was an old not very good ladies mountain bike. It was good for riding up and down the street, but not so much for trails. It had a front shock that probably did not work and the gears were almost impossible to change. Second loaner was a man's trek hardtail. A total upgrade from the first bike. I decided I like riding enough to buy my own mountain bike. I paid approx $400 for a ladies specialized hardtail. I rode that bike 3-5 times a week for a year. Then I upgraded to dual suspension. I could not afford a new Specialized so I found one on craigslist. It was much less $$ than brand new and the bike was in great shape. I will never go back to a hardtail. But that is just me. I always recommend borrowing or even renting a bike (if possible) to see the difference. If you are going to be riding often and it is something you really enjoy, it is worth the money to invest in a nice bike. Even if you do stick with a hardtail, it is worth the investment to get a quality bike. You do not have to spend a lot of money to get an awesome bike. A friend who has been riding for 15 years just bought a used specialized (newer model than his previous that he rode for 9 years!) and it is a great bike. Cost $1200. He is also smart w/ mechanical stuff, so he knew it was in good shape. If you are unsure if a bike is a good brand or in good shape, ask somebody from the group to go look with you. I am poor and I am frugal and I have no regrets about spending $950 on a used stumpjumper. It has brought me miles and miles of smiles and never given me trouble. As far as how you treat your bike and where you ride, SA has a variety of trails. You can ride a dual suspension bike over all sorts of stuff and the bike absorbs a majority of it. It is wonderful! It is easy to confuse "quality" with expensive. You can have quality without breaking the bank! Good luck bike hunting and I hope my bike buying experience helps
Adan
RazorsDragon
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 878
What great responses, I'm definitely not ready to go head first down a stump ridden slope, but um I'll probably be looking for ramps any chance I get biggrin. I didn't understand the scope of the type of bikes and activity levels all that acquiring a bike would entail. This is a lot of food for thought, I definitely want to be able to enjoy riding with keeping my budget in mind. Thank you Enrique, and Richard I appreciate all of yall's help with this new endeavor of mine. I'm going to try to make it to "Action Bikes" in universal city this memorial day and start window shopping....
Adan
RazorsDragon
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 879
Good luck bike hunting and I hope my bike buying experience helps

Dee Dee, yes it did thank you! smile
Enrique
user 4163600
Group Organizer
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 1,543

I was actually think about making more of an effort on riding with you guys, and taking a friend with me (he also has a Giant), but it seems you guys may look down on the LBS bike we own so I will have to pass

Other members have Giant bikes and no one has said anything, no comments, no one cared. We just went out to ride. I am sure the " Keeping up with the Jones" psychology could apply to someone but I think the group feels pretty easy going. So if you have the time or the interest to join us for rides then come on out.
Adan
RazorsDragon
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 880
I just purchased my first MTB! It's a Haro Trail I'm super excited to put some miles on it, and to start learning it's mannerisms before going on some rides with the group, I'm super stoked! I'll see yall on some of the beginner meetups soon!