The NYC Declutter And Get Organized Meetup Group Message Board › Nicole - I´m correct?

Nicole - I´m correct?

chrissy
user 2859292
Gallupville, NY
Post #: 11
Hello Nicole smile
Purging wardrobe - no longer holding on to items from years ago!! Donating is great, but when it comes to old footwear, only gently used is acceptable. OMG, those 17!!! years old leather boots have been sitting for more than 10 years on the bottom of my closet:

17yrs old, pretty stiff leather, alone the germs ......Ewwwwwwwww!!! Now I did it. These 17 years old things went straight into the big black garbage bag in the kitchen. In this case... These old boots were just plain oooooold naaasty household waste. I´m correct ?

chrissy
Janet
New York, NY
Post #: 2
Look, I am the first person to congratulate people for shedding layers of old paper, stained, old, used clothes that don't fit but really, those boots were beautiful and if they were made of fine leather as unused as they appeared in the photo, well I say, see what you get for cleaning out your closet? A pair of leather boots. Germs on leather?? tell every vintage shop in america that as the prices go up for fine leather boots, bags and coats.
When I de-clutter, I keep the treasures that I re-discover as a reward for clearing the way to find them.
If they were nasty so be it throw them out but if not, only you know for sure if you will wear them now.
from one empowered woman to another.:->
Nicole
user 3078314
Group Organizer
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 2
Chrissy- I just saw this post- I am sorry for the lack of response until now! I think you did the right thing and I support your decision. You haven't worn them in ten years and you didn't say anything positive about them in the post once you rediscovered them. You deemed them trash and they merely passed thru your hands on the way to the trash bag. WELL DONE YOU!
I am aware of Janet Marie's point and to that I say- she values the boots more than you so she should consider keeping them, while you went swiftly with your response which was that they were no good to you. You did what was right for you. Also, while working with clients, we uncover MANY things once thought lost forever. Imagine if we threw out ten items and found ten that haven't been used or gone noticed in ages, and the client wanted to keep all ten finds that didn't matter in their life one minute earlier. We would just sort of break even and never really get ahead in the process. I nearly always default to- "you didn't even know you were missing it and it hasn't been part of your existence for a looong time- let it pass thru your hands to another resting place- trash or donation." GOOD JOB!

Nicole