The New York Roof Deck and Roof Gardening Meetup Group Message Board › What to plant on a terrace? Help!

What to plant on a terrace? Help!

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello Gardeners!

I am new to this list and new to gardening in general. I am excited for spring—our first in an apartment with ample outdoor space—and am excited to grow things. I am a bit at a loss though. We moved in late summer and I planted a few things, too late in the game I think, and they did not fare too well.

I am looking for advice on things to plant, both annuals and perennials, that will do well on a fifth floor terrace. It is north-facing and has parts that are in shade most of the day and parts that get sun for most of the day. I also have some space on the south side of the building. So, shade lovers to full sun are welcome. I am hoping for recommendations for things that do well in planters/pots and in our climate. Any advice?

(I am experiencing a major love affair with plants and am also wanting to grow more indoors. So far I am coaxing a little fiddle leaf fig to grow and have some succulents and a few lavender plants that made their way indoors when the cold hit. Any recommendations for things that are good inside, both on the north and south.)

Thanks in advance and excited to have found this community!
Mary
Janet
user 8905042
New York, NY
Post #: 2
hey Mary,
how exciting!
most all plants should do well for you, given some understanding.
first off, think a lot about the actual container (you are container gardening, after all!) (give a lot of thought to Winter time when making your selection), that you're gonna put things in. my favorite for multi-floriferous annual displays, are the shredded coconut fabric stuff, that drapes into an open wire basket, type of thing. drainage, is key. Petunia's do well. and Heliotrope!
second thing to think on is, heat index, i find.
Terrace's get HOT!
i wanted a Camellia really badly and heavily researched the scene until i found one that could take the oft times, brutal conditions of my Terrace. it's a fall bloomer and seems to be thriving! bloomed it's little head off until February!
a Cut-Leafed Black Elderberry is a flawless and enchanting choice for either sun or part shade. give it a substantial pot and stand back!!
of course, soil composition, is also key! don't be afraid to get a bag of sand to mix in, if need be. it's all a bout mimicking they're natural environment...sort of.
Lavender should thrive and bloom non-stop for you. it's a perennial , however, and shouldn't be brought inside. needs the cold, to reactivate.
Alliums! love hot sunniness!
also,` Aster's. Stokesia. Daylilies. Daisy's. Deutzia. Grasses!
and on....