addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The New York Roof Deck and Roof Gardening Meetup Group Message Board › Planting fall bulbs for roof gardens

Planting fall bulbs for roof gardens

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi,

I would like to plant some crocus and tulip bulbs this fall. Does anyone have suggestions on particular bulbs or bulb sellers? I think the bulbs will need to be pretty hearty since my biggest posts are 16 inches and it will get quiet cold up on the roof. I plan on lining our pots up along a sunny wall that retains heat for the winter.

It can also get windy up there. So, I was looking for strong tulips that didn't grow too high and crocuses. Any advice?

Thanks for your help,

Chris
Jim F.
user 9984039
New York, NY
Post #: 3
Chris,

I'm a poor bulb grower, but the rule of thumb is that anything in containers on a roof or deck needs to be 2 zones hardier than the growing area; that means z5 to be on the safe side 'round here. I think crocus should be a good bet since they're small and very frost hardy, my only question would be, will they fry in the summer, especially if you're planting summer plants around the bulbs?

Tulips, I dunno, many of the modern hybrids are quite big for the size of the stem, perhaps you'd be better off with some of the species, which are likely to have smaller flowers on lower stalks?

The BBG has a number of handbooks on bulbs, as well as container gardens, which might be worth checking out if you're over there or at a bookstore.

Hope this helps a little!

Jim
A former member
Post #: 2
Thanks for your help Jim. The +2 zones rule is very helpful.