Oahu Photographers and Models Message Board › Organizer dues & keeping the group going!

Organizer dues & keeping the group going!

Jason C.
user 29598332
Honolulu, HI
Post #: 9
Natalie,

Keep in mind this group is not here purely for "revenue production," or a number at the bottom of an excel spreadsheet. Not everyone has participated in a shoot yet, for whatever reason (not enough time, a shoot they aren't interested in, etc. etc.). Therefore it is an erroneous assumption that everyone should pay their dues. It makes more sense for people to pay once they've gone to an event.
debra
user 13619367
Group Organizer
Honolulu, HI
Post #: 52
While Natalie is right that there are over 200 members, not everyone has paid "dues." And I use that term very loosely. This is a group for people looking to expand their knowledge, and practice their craft, not to generate money. So far, I haven't had to beg for money, and that's not my style, either--hence the "whenever" and not a mandatory due date.

If it ever got to the point where I wasn't able to cover the membership dues, that would be another story. But Jason's right, not everyone has made it to an event yet. And I don't expect everyone ever will. The group fluctuates with people coming and going, and again, it's truly not a big deal.

And if I ever get to the point where I have an abundance of money (which hasn't happened yet), then I'll ask for suggestions as to what the group would like to do with it.

For right now, though, I won't nag for money, and I won't force anyone to pay something if they don't wish to. Hope that helps answer some questions!
debra
user 13619367
Group Organizer
Honolulu, HI
Post #: 67
Aloha all!
I have an update to this thread, and wanted to get the word out to everyone. This will also be emailed, so if you're seeing it twice, please don't think it's due to too much green beer on St. Patricks Day!

I'm the organizer/founder of another group, and was using those dues to cover this group as well (Meetup allows 3 groups to be covered by 1 set of dues). However, I'm folding that group, and therefore will not have any money being collected from it (it wasn't enough to cover everything--not the reason I'm folding it!--but still, not enough dues that I was completely reimbursed for Meetup dues I paid out).

Because of that, I'll now be covering the Meetup fee completely on my own. (Please see previous posts for full explanations on everything before asking questions here.) It's not due until May, so there's time to address it, and help cover my expense. (Which is $72 every 6 months.)

The best suggestion I've had is to pass the hat at events, and have people contribute what they can; which would not seem to address the issue as we don't have very many events scheduled right now! I hope this will change in the upcoming month as my schedule starts to settle down and I'm able to organize more things.

If anyone has another suggestion, or would like to offer an alternative, I'm more than willing to entertain other ideas. I'd also like to see as many people organize/host events as possible, so please feel free to throw things out there you might be interested in doing!

As always, email me at onebarbie2@yahoo.com if you have any questions.

Have a great week!
-Debra