Oahu Photographers and Models Message Board › Do you have any suggestions for improvements/attracting more models???

Do you have any suggestions for improvements/attracting more models???

Sharon K.
user 72890152
Honolulu, HI
Post #: 1
Aloha All,
Just wanted to ask what would make the group more helpful to members and models in particular? What do models need to add to their portfolios? We have a shortage of models compared to photographers. It would also be nice if we could also attract more MUAs and even hair stylists to help models for shoots. It might be helpful to organize the shoots in some way so we're attractive to models. I am not sure how to accomplish this. Does anyone have any suggestions? Models, do you have suggestions to help the group improve? Would limiting the shoots to a certain ratio of photographers to models on a first come basis or organizing the shoots differently help? What locations and themes would be attractive for models and photographers? Thanks.
Rich
user 9943030
Honolulu, HI
Post #: 141
I think a couple of things can help in this area:
1. Photographers need to share their work and make it very simple for the models to get to it. It's kind of junk to see people show up and shoot but never share anything with the model. Should be able to get at least 1 keeper per shoot and that should be shared with the model and MUA if there is one.
2. People need to do solid research, and have a good concept and location and or date in mind and put it up with maybe some similar images so the models and photographers / MUA's can get an idea of what to expect and get out of it if they go.
3. Need to have a couple standing indoor venues to use as backups and have at least 2 confirmed organizer types for each shoot, in case one has a schedule change at the last minute. I've noticed that tends to happen sometimes and it can be dissapointing to all when someone organizes a shoot then bails at the last minute.
debra
user 13619367
Group Organizer
Honolulu, HI
Post #: 57
I'm going to take this one step further for some of the points brought up...
-MUA's and hairstylists are very hard to find. Especially those interested in doing anything for trade. They are in such demand that a majority of the time they don't need to do things in trade because they can find paying gigs. It's just the nature of their talent, and I think the group will always want them, and they'll always be hard to find.

-We do actually have quite a few models in the group. They just haven't responded to events. I'm not sure why, and I couldn't speak for them. I have a feeling it may be the types of shoots, but the offer's been there for anyone and everyone to suggest ideas for shoots and there are still just a handful of members who plan things.

-Having backup venues and organizers attend events is a little more tricky. Usually just organizing one venue is hard enough, but to have more than one is a little beyond the scope of what's necessary. Things happen. Does it suck when a location can't be used for unforeseen reasons? Yes. But you make the best of it, and move on. As far as an organizer" being present, it's more that the event host/planner should be present. That should be non-negotiable, and something should not be planned without making absolutely sure the planner can be there.

-Getting pictures to models should be another non-negotiable. If there are models who are not getting pictures from shoots, that's a topic that needs to be discussed off-line, and I'm more than willing to follow up if anyone needs assistance in pursuing this. Please let me know.

The simple way to solve all of these issues would be either one of two ways, start charging for everything (so people feel invested and want to show up to get their money's worth); and/or start setting rules and removing people for not adhering to them (RSVP yes, but don't show up for an event--be removed, make it 3 times--be removed, plan an event & not show up--be removed, etc.). That's something I'm not willing to start implementing unless there's A LOT more discussion and consensus about it.

I have started removing the -organizer- title from everyone that was randomly given it when they joined. While it will not limit who can suggest events, it should help tighten things up a little in regards to posting events.

I'm not sure what else can be done to improve or attract more models, but everyone should feel free to reply to this with suggestions!
Barbie E.
user 14497231
Honolulu, HI
Post #: 5
Some models are looking for certain things for their portfolio and most are accomplished offline because they can focus on few photographers and work one on one. I like the idea of smaller groups but the RSVP doesn't separate the models and photgraphers for the events.

For the nature of meetup, it is hard to say how to attract more models. Maybe for one month we can focus on one thing. Such as head shots, body shots, fashion or editorial for the entire month and keep it to one separate/themed event per month? Not all models are available during the event dates so maybe this will give a chance for other models to come on out if its not restricted to certain days?
A former member
Post #: 4
What about paying for models and makeup with small meetup fees? I currently belong to a couple groups that do this? It attracts more experienced models and we as the photographers get great portfolio building opportunities and skill building experience.

For instance, say you have a constant group of 10 photographers who partake in a certain type of portraiture. $20 brings in $200 and most models will be happy to take $200 for 3-5 hrs of modeling. Add in another $5 and you got $50 for a hair and makeup student from the local beauty college.

Barbie E.
user 14497231
Honolulu, HI
Post #: 6
Ryan i definitely like the idea but to make it work you would need to put in place a nonrefundable fee because if people don't show up then the model is out of her paid shoot. I guess if the model is more experienced and her portfolio is provided for the photographers to see then I can understand having to pay models but it all depends on the model and the people who sign up. its going to be a challenge if you do this.
David
user 7991843
Honolulu, HI
Post #: 24
So, we've had someone give a workshop on off camera lighting. What if we have an experienced model teach a modeling workshop for about an hour. At the end of the hour, photogs and models could shoot.