Oahu Photographers and Models Message Board › Year end wrap up!

Year end wrap up!

debra
user 13619367
Group Organizer
Honolulu, HI
Aloha all!
Hope everyone had a happy Thanksgivvukah! Ate lots of turkey, had some latkes, and didn't get trampled on Black Friday! Wanted to address some odds and ends that have come up of late...

I will try to make this short (may not be sweet, but...). Hopefully all of it will be read and it's all pertinent, so please try to get through it. As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to email me at onebarbie2@yahoo.com­.

I'm not sure if everyone understands that Meetup is a volunteer group. No one (including myself) is paid to organize events. There is a fee to host a group on Meetup, which I don't mind absorbing. But anything beyond that comes out of the members' pockets. Meetup does not compensate anyone for any of their efforts. I have never really been a stickler for the dues, because I think we're all in different places of our lives, and having something to pursue on a hobby-basis (with whatever end goal in mind you wish) is a great thing!

This is first, and foremost, a Photography AND Model group. We have other talents in the group (MUA's, stylists, etc.), but this is NOT solely a photography group. This group is to foster the skills, and help improve, everyone--not just photographers. Therefore, while I understand there are sometimes a lack of participants other than photographers for an event, to suggest paying models (or posting calls on outside sites) is a slap in the face to the models who do show up and participate.

All of our members do their best to be professional at a shoot. But we're all learning, and we all have to be patient with everyone who shows up. We're all giving our time, and we're all working on doing our best. Yes, we want to make the most of every shoot, but be willing to offer suggestions, and be willing to take constructive criticism.

This leads to the fact that this is a Meetup group, and not a professional organization/association. We don't have dues, we don't have a board, in fact we don't even really have set rules. We are a fluid group that anyone is welcome to join. We're here to learn from each other. We're here to help each other out. Anyone is welcome to suggest ideas for shoots. Starting the beginning of the year, I will do my best to implement the following:
*Most of the "organizer" titles are being removed. If you have not visited the site in the last month, I will remove it.
*When suggesting an event, you must have the details fleshed out completely. If you would like brainstorm an idea, do it on the "Discussion" thread area. Details include: date, time, location, a contact phone number for the event host, specific details, and relevant inspiration photos. (Suggesting an event is NOT limited to organizers, everyone is welcome to do this!)
*In RSVP'ing for the event, you MUST post in the comments what you will be doing for the event. Some of us have multiple skills, and you must specify what you will be doing. The event organizer will be responsible for keeping track of everyone responses.

For those of you who are organizers of the group, please help out. You have a lot of things you can do to this end...when a new member joins, add their "skill" to their name. Organizers get emails when a new member comes on-board, it takes a click to change it, but I don't always have daily email access, this is something easy to assist the group out...change the cover picture. It keeps things fresh and shows off the different things we do...plan an event! We have some amazingly creative people, I know you can come up with some new and different things. Don't be afraid to offer something up, you'll be surprised as who says "yes."

We haven't had much going on in the last few months, but hopefully that'll change with the new year. There are a lot of members in the group now, and a lot of talent to pull from! Please know that none of this is directed at any one person, with so many people coming and going, and the year coming to a close, I wanted to wrap up some on-going concerns that had been brought up recently.

If you have any questions or feedback about anything, please feel free to get in touch with me. You can always email me at onebarbie2@yahoo.com­ and I'll do my best to get back to you as quickly as possible.

Hauoli makahiki hou!
-Debra