June 22, 2013 · 9:15 AM
This location is shown only to members
Let's hike! Transportation provided. Just Show up and enjoy!
First we will meet in the front of the Archives Canada (our default location for all the events click on the link and see how to get there) - you will see the statue in front of the library "Secret Bench" that's where we will meet:
Our default Hiking adventure is Wolf's trail as it is relatively close and (Thank's G-d) only reasonable hike someone can find in the area of the Canadian shield where Ottawa-Gatineau area is situated. Please check the photo albums ( No1. and No.2) as well an excellent photo tour from Outdoor Ottawa.
You will climb until 380 meters!
In approx. 5 hours you will be back to Ottawa! (This is approximate time)
Wolf Trail begins at Blanchet beach on the Meech Lake at the parking lot P-13. It is the trail number 16 and it has 8.3 Km.
You will require some basic equipment as good boots or hiking shoes, small backpack, rain jacket and enough water, tea is good too.
2. Head Lamp (in general you will not need this for day hikes such as this one)
The walking time to complete the circuit
Wolf Trail is five hours approximately.
Approximatelly means +/- 1:30 Hours.
DO NOT RUSH THE GROUP AS YOU HAVE TO GO TO THE DENTIST at 2:30.
You are hiking and you have to take your time to relax, enjoy the nature and walk.
Tawadina Lookout is 335 meters high
and Mahingan Lookouts are about 380 meters high.
From both lookouts, Tawadina and Mahingan, you can see the Ottawa River and the Ottawa Valley. From there you have a very beautiful and an interesting view.
The benefits of Hiking besides affecting your cognitive functionality are numerous one (quote #1) :
- Improved cardio-respiratory fitness (heart, lungs, blood vessels)
- Improved muscular fitness
- Lower risk of coronary heart disease and stroke
- Lower risk of high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes
- Lower risk of high cholesterol and triglycerides
- Lower risk of colon and breast cancer, and possibly lung and endometrial cancer
- Increased bone density or a slower loss of density
- Reduced depression and better quality sleep
- Weight control; hiking burns up 370 calories an hour (154-lb person)