This is a two day workshop specially designed for street photography in Ottawa, Canada. I have spent over 100 hours putting together a balanced agenda that will improve not only your street photography but in general as well. The content in this workshop is extensive and there will be a lot of interactive participation. Some of you may be nervous reading this. Perhaps shy or scared of the unknown. The first MAJOR step for your success of this workshop starts with you. Take a deep breath. Understand that if you are nervous, that means you're are about to learn something new outside of your comfort zone. I ask that you trust me with the responsibility in guiding you a positive direction where your nervousness will go out the window within the first 10 minutes of the workshop.
Here are some common questions and comments I have heard from past students:
• "I'm curious and always wanted to try street photography but don't know really where to start"
• "I need to learn how to overcome my fear and boost my confidence... I'm too shy"
• "I'm not sure what equipment to use."
• "My photos are missing something, I need to see more creatively."
• "I just wanted to try something different and mix things up. I'm bored"
• "I want to meet new like minded people and make new friends."
• "I want to become a 'Streetog'"
Day 1 - Saturday 1pm: Indoor Class With Overhead Projector (3 hours) Here are some topic highlights.
• What is street photography
• Legal and privacy issues
• What equipment do you need
• Prediction and anticipation techniques
• Understanding exposure for street photography
• What camera modes to use
• Composition - Learning to see
• Streamline your editing process
• Processing Techniques
• Zone focusing
• Breaking the rules
• Conquering your fear
• Anonymous critique of your photos in class
• Group discussions and war stories
• In class group exercises
Day 2 - Sunday 1pm: Hitting the Streets (3 hours)
• Practice what you have learned
• Work in small groups out in the street
• One on one support from me if required
• Joining the official Streetog Ottawa Facebook group to post your photos and get constructive feedback
The location will be somewhere within Ottawa and will ensure bus routes will be available. Final RSVP numbers will determine the venue. I will likely try to stick to a central Ottawa location. Day two street photography practice will be downtown Ottawa the following day at 1pm.
I realize that the fee I'm asking may prohibit some to attend. I have spent over 100 hours preparing this workshop and have given multiple "beta workshops" where I have tweaked the content that will ensure value for your money. While I'm not looking for a profit here and not knowing the final RSVP numbers, I want to ensure that I can secure a warm, comfortable place to rent for the workshop class. Lastly, I strongly believe you will get more out of this two day workshop then an $80 book that is likely to miss many of the key components. Please note that the meetup fee is not refundable if you are a "no show". Please think before you RSVP and commit to the date as there is extensive planning and prepayment for the facilities that I am responsible for.
Skill Level Required:
Beginner to advanced.
I've been hobbyist photographer for about 15 years. A street photographer for about 4 years. I've have taken pro workshops and spent 1000's of hours researching this genre and interacting with like minded people. You do not have to like or want to produce photos like mine to benifit from this workshop. I will show you the raw tools to find your own style and start you well on your journey of this highly addictive genre.
You do not need a fancy camera, multiple lenses or a ton of other gear for this workshop. Your brain and the tools you learn from this workshop is far more important than gear. My street camera is small with a fixed lens. Beginners welcomed. Advanced photogs, I ask that you open your mind and accept some new challenges that will push you out of your comfort zone.