addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Geoff
user 2600632
Banbury, GB
Hi,

I received a very useful email from a Spanish member of the group who has successfully found a good job, via a few 'interesting' jobs, more details below.

I would strongly agree with Patricia about the following. Firstly, English employers are not so interested in qualifications, they are much more interested in experience and references. In England we want people who are willing to work, not just be clever. It is a very good idea to take basic jobs like shop work, bar work or cleaning in the colleges. In the UK this looks very good on your cv, as it shows you are willing to put up with difficult conditions. And even working in jobs like this will improve your english, and get you used to english work culture. As you get more experience you will get more chances for better work. And an English employer will always choose somebody who is working as a cleaner before somebody who is sitting at home without a job.

I also found some other websites that might be useful:

http://www.careers.ox...­

http://www.e4s.co.uk/...­

http://www.cylex-uk.c...­

Hi there,

I quickly introduced myself I have been living in Oxford for over 4 years and I am from Barcelona.

In my experience, finding a job was easy, finding a good job that is a completely different story.

If you are planning a short stay to learn english sign up with agencies like Manpower (gave me lots of data entry work, admin type of thing) or Champions (catering, bar staff for events on colleges) and there is one I can't remember the name next to the Castle behind the Westgate that deals with all catering and dish washing in the colleges.

After I gain some temporary experience and references (you need them in this country) I was able to apply for jobs in places like Marks & Spencer (for the Christmas period start recruiting in October) you do everything online, and I was working there over 4 months with a temporary contract, is a good experience for you CV and is a good place to work and you get discounts and the times are quite flexible but of course you work weekends. You can see all the vacancies available on their website.

After finishing in M&S I got a maternity cover in Boots in the Cornmarket once again you do everything all the application online so is easy because you can take your time to answer the questions. Working in Boots was boring the pay is not great (full time is under £1000) but again you get experience and practise english, learn the way english people speaks informally, get used to different accents... Also in Boots you can do overtime and work Sundays when you get pay double or 1and half extra.

There is a market research company in Park End called GFK I think it was through Champion Agency (in Cornmarket St) but I worked there for a couple of weeks as a Spanish customer service for Blackberry, aparently when Blackberry launches a new campaign they redirect the 'extra calls' to that call centre so they need extra staff when that happens, there was 3 or 4 spanish ladies there working permanently.
For small jobs or part-time i found very useful www.dailyinfo.co.uk.­

While working in Boots I kept applying for jobs in Marketing and Communication (that's what I have studied) using website like Reed.co.uk and jobsite, and got an interview for the Co-op Group in the Customer Services team. I got the job and after 1 year a vacancy came up in the Sales and Marketing team and I got it, so I have been working for them for over 2 years and is the best place to be. The only thing is that the offices are in Chipping Norton for the Phone and Broadband branch so you will have to travel like me.

There are 2 vacancies at the moment for Customer services and 1 part-time credit controller, so If you need more details let me know.

Maybe I should have written in Spanish!!

Un beso cualquier cosa escribidme!
Patricia

If you want to contact Patricia about the above vacancies, please go to her meetup page below and use the 'send email' button.

http://www.meetup.com...­