The Philadelphia Asian Professionals Meetup Group Message Board › Attention: Those in Mixed Vietnamese Marriages w/children

Attention: Those in Mixed Vietnamese Marriages w/children

Lancaster, PA
Post #: 11
Hi, All.

I'm wondering if I can get your help for my research study. I'm looking for people who are in mixed Vietnamese marriages (1 spouse is Vietnamese & the other is non-Vietnamese) w/kids to complete a short 20-minute survey online. If you are or know of anyone who is, please read below for details.

My name is Ha Lam and I am a PhD student under the direction of Professor Terrence Wiley in the College of Education at Arizona State University. I am looking for participants for my dissertation project. If you are:
(1) 18 or older,
(2) in a mixed marriage (one spouse is Vietnamese and the other is non-Vietnamese) and
(3) have children living at home with you, then I would like to ask for your help.

I am conducting a research study to examine the experiences of Vietnamese mixed families in regard to language and culture. If you would complete an online survey attached to this link http://www.zoomerang....­
I would be very grateful. The survey should take about 20 minutes to complete. I think you will find that reflecting on these issues is an interesting and enjoyable exercise. If you would like to find out the results of the study, I would be happy to share them with you once the study is complete.

Your participation in this study is voluntary. If you choose not to participate or to withdraw from the study at any time, there will be no penalty. Your responses will be anonymous. The results of this study may be used in reports, presentations, or publications but your name will not be used. There are no foreseeable risks or discomforts to your participation.

If you have any questions concerning the research study, please contact the research team at: Dr. Terry Wiley (480) 965-6357 or Ha Lam (717) 569-0134. If you have any questions about your rights as a participant in this research, or if you feel you have been placed at risk, you can contact the Chair of the Human Subjects Institutional Review Board, through the ASU Office of Research Integrity and Assurance, at (480) 965-6788.

Also, if you know of other couples in a mixed Vietnamese marriage with children, it would be very helpful to me if you could forward the link of the online survey to them and ask them to complete it. http://www.zoomerang....­
Completion of the survey is your consent to participate.

Your participation in this research is VERY much appreciated! It would be helpful if both you and your spouse complete the survey separately. If possible, it would be helpful if you could complete the survey by Jan 22, 2010.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration,

Ha Lam
PhD Candidate
College of Education
Arizona State University