The Philadelphia Vegetarian Social Club Message Board › Please Read: The PVSC no-show policy

Please Read: The PVSC no-show policy

Himanshu
aggieliberal
Group Organizer
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 69
I have edited the welcome email message I send to new members who join this group to include directions for reading and getting familiarized with this policy.

I will change this policy depending on feedback I receive and if I believe it is not as helpful. You are welcome to provide comment and discussion here.

No-show policy:

Summary:
If you RSVP for an event, you better show up for it, you better not cancel with less than one-day's notice (emergency and weather exceptions allowed), and you most certainly better not repeat the same mistake for a total of 3 times, or else you will be removed from this group.

Detail:
1) We try to have an active schedule for this meetup because we want to have a fun, active, welcoming community feel for our members. This entails a lot of work on the part of the organizers and hosts who take it upon themselves to make sure you have an enjoyable time. We do not even ask for money or favors in return! We do ask that you extend common courtesy to your fellow members, and to your organizers and event hosts.

2) As the group has grown, there seems to have developed a core group of members who have formed a community that I had envisioned for this meetup group when I started it in January, 2012. I can't be more happy and satisfied about this outcome. This core group has developed new friendships and a camaraderie amongst themselves, and often go above and beyond simple meetup routine in order to be good friends to each other. On the other hand, there are many members who have joined but have not been active, and many that rarely attend our events. This leads to a thinking of the group's events as last case scenarios for your plans, and if something "better" comes along, you are happy to change your mind.

3) We are fine with you changing your mind, but be courteous to your fellow members while doing so. If your plans change, change your RSVP promptly. Having an updated RSVP counts helps in many ways:

• Lets the host/organizer of the event know the exact head count and members expected to be in attendance;
  • If the event is overbooked and there is a Waiting List, those on the Waiting List are afforded a legitimate chance to attend the event in your lieu when you drop yourself off the RSVP List;
  • It helps with the restaurant/venue booking and when we have 100% attendance, we are likely to be welcomed again, perhaps with a discount for a future visit;
  • It helps with possible ride-sharing among those who are attending.

4) Cancelling or changing plans at the last possible moment does not help anybody. Weather or other emergencies aside, if you cancel with less than one day's notice, you are not giving a fair chance for someone on the Waiting List to take your spot, and you will be marked a no-show.

5) Check that you receive (and READ) the emails sent by organizers and hosts. If you do not follow the directions on where, how, and when to meet, you may not be able to meet the group. I often provide my cell phone number, transportation options, how to identify/find me at a large venue, and other such details. If you're not at a large venue as part of the group, you might as well not have come on the group's RSVP, and we may mark you as a no-show.

6) If you accumulate three no-shows, you will be removed from this group. You can contact me to be reinstated.

Folks, this is not meant as a power trip or a means of handing out punishment. These are simple rules of courtesy. I would hope that fellow vegetarians and vegans (and even our omnivore and pescaterian friends) can extend simple courtesies to each other as meetup members. After all, you joined meetup in order to meet new people and enjoy new experiences, right? Don't make it hard on others. Having repeated experiences of egregious no-shows recently has forced my hand.

======

I will consider your input below.