add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

“The Philosophers Corner” Message Board › New Meetup: Hebrew Bible Stories: History or Myth?

New Meetup: Hebrew Bible Stories: History or Myth?

This message board is read-only.

user 8646896
Group Organizer
Sydney, AU
Announcing a new Meetup for “The Philosophers Corner”!

What: Hebrew Bible Stories: History or Myth?

When: Wednesday, February 2, 2011 7:15 PM

Where: Ariel Bookshop
42 Oxford Street Paddington
Sydney NSW
(+61) 02 9332 4581

Dear members,

Allan Glazerman PhD in Philosophy will deliver a more than interesting topic about The Old Testament.
This is a topic that many philosophers would like to have the priviledge of presenting and always a challenging one. Please, come with an open mind whatever believe you have and participate in the debate.

Abstract submitted by Allan:
As part of a larger investigation into the nature of myth, I propose to examine several familiar Bible stories that appear in the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) and discuss whether they should be read as historic, factual reports or whether they should be read as myths. Some of the stories to be considered include the stories of creation, the flood, the binding of Isaac, Joseph’s interpretation of Pharaoh’s dreams and the parting of the Red Sea. In particular, I will focus on the considerations, both internal and external, that incline one to read them one way or another. If, as I shall argue, there are good reasons to read the stories as myths, then the appropriate question to ask is not “Are they true or false?” but “What are they intended to do?” And what they are intended to do, I will suggest, is to connect the dots of Israel’s experiences, so that they read as sacred history and, not just a record of past events.

Jes (founder)

RSVP to this Meetup:­