The REAL Debate Club Message Board › Tonight's debate - I can't attend sadly, but please do carry on without me!

Tonight's debate - I can't attend sadly, but please do carry on without me!

Marcus W.
user 8663901
Group Organizer
London, GB
Dear Nahnaz and Andrea,

I'm very sorry, but this week I've got tied up in Somerset with work, and I'm unable to make it back to tonight's debate. Please do go along though, as it will go ahead without me.

It's an informal format, and many of the usual Lansdowne crowd will be there to show the ropes.

Tonight we are going to have informal debates on some topical subjects. So a  few ideas for this are as follows:

• Economy, 3rd quarter of negative growth. Should Osborne go? Could Vince Cable be a better chancellor? (Could Balls?! (urgh)). Is it frankly irrelevant who the chancellor is, when the bigest factor or Europe is out of anyone's control?
  • The Cinema killings. Are people influenced by violence they see in films, on TV or in video games? Should age restrictions be tightened up, should the watershed be stricter?
  • British Gas reports a 15% rise in profits. Is this excessive, are we getting conned?! Were we better off under state ownership of utilities?!
  • The Olympics is a waste of time and money!!!! Or could this provide a turning point in the UK's economics woes?!

Based on last month, I may suggest that 3 topics is about right, with a vote before and after.

Hopefully one of the regulars will step in as chair, I've just emailed them all asking for a volunteer!

I'm very very sorry for the short notice, and I hope you have a great night!

Best regards,

Marcus

P.S. So sorry again that I can't be there!! I feel really bad, but I'll try to make it up to you. We're planning another big debate in Nov/Dec time, so please do watch this space for that one!