addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Rochester Digital Photography Meetup Group Message Board › Landscape lens for Canon dSLR - recommendations

Landscape lens for Canon dSLR - recommendations

Henrietta F.
user 114291062
Rochester, NY
Post #: 1
I have some travel coming up and have been thinking of getting a nice wide angle lens for landscapes and cityscapes. My camera is a Canon T3 (with an APS-C cropped sensor) and I already have the 18-55mm zoom lens and a 50mm f1.4 EF lens.

There are a couple of Canon moderate wide angle lenses that are interesting - 17-40mm f4 and 16-35mm f2.8- I know those would be more like 25mm at the wide end on my camera. And Canon and third party manufacturers have even wider EF-S lenses that are the equivalent of 17mm at the wide end. Not sure I want to invest in lenses that can be used only on cropped sensor cameras though.

So, any ideas for me? Will something in the 17-40mm (26-60mm actual) range work for Tuscan landscapes and Roman architecture? Or???
Eric M.
user 38696602
Syracuse, NY
Post #: 61
"The best rig is the one you have with you!" biggrin Traditional wisdom says to do landscapes with a full-frame and ultra-wide glass (10-15 mm) on a tripod. I get pretty good results with my APSC T3i on a monopod or tripod, and a combo of a Tokina 10-17 and Tamron 18-270. I've even been known to fit a Tamron 1.4 teleconverter on the 270.

It all gets down to composition and theme. I take the obligatory ultra wides or panoramas, then mount the 270+ and look for really neat close subjects or distant single features (e.g. a paraglider over a lake... from a mountain top!)
Al M.
Rochester, NY
Post #: 18
Good question. Do you stitch together several pictures to get the occasional wide view that the 15mm cannot handle in one shot? Is it worth carrying another lens all day?. Depends on what your goals are. Have found a 10mm (16 mm with crop sensor) to be most useful indoors, rarely used outdoors - I am more of a zoom in shooter.

Tamron and Canon both offer a 10-24 lens, 50% price difference naturally. I went with the Tamron since I did not think I would be using enough to justify the $$. Now I sometimes take a shot that is not as sharp as I assume the Canon would have produced (have gotten very picky in my old age - grin). Will I trade up in the future (?), time will tell.
Henrietta F.
user 114291062
Rochester, NY
Post #: 2
My BIL has the Tokina 10-17 f2.8 and I was able to do a couple of interior shots on Thanksgiving. I know that lens is well reviewed and the price is good. But I would need to carry a second lens. It would be nice to have one lens on the camera most of the time, so I was thinking of the Canon 17-40mm. It's an f4 lens and I wonder if that will be fast enough for interior architecture. Most of the places we'll be won't allow tripods or flashes and in any case I'll be with a group so I won't have a lot of time to mess around with a tripod. What do you think of the 17-40mm (26-60 actual) NON-IS lens for building interiors without a tripod? I should be able to carry a compact monopod but don't have much experience with those.
Al M.
Rochester, NY
Post #: 19
IMHO - given the ISO range of your camera and the fact your subject is not moving I do not see the f4 being a huge issue, as long as you can lean against a wall or use some other solid surface. Between daylight from the outside and artificial interior lights you should be in pretty good shape. Nighttime is a bit more of a challenge, but the attached hand held, night shots range from 1/50 to 1.5 seconds with various f-stops and only required a handy light post/ wall to brace against. good luck.
Al M.
Rochester, NY
Post #: 20
Found out I could not directly attach photos, so send me an email address if you are interested.
Henrietta F.
user 114291062
Rochester, NY
Post #: 3
Thanks for the input - it looks like Canon has lowered its prices on a few items so I decided to go with the 10-22mm wide angle lens. That seems to be the only range if you want wide angle on a crop sensor and the price isn't all that much higher than the competitive 3rd party lenses. And realistically, I don't see moving up to a full frame camera in the foreseeable future. Can't wait!
Ron S.
user 8387083
Group Organizer
Rochester, NY
Post #: 13
Your best choice, assuming you really do want a wide angle lens is the Canon EF-S 10 - 22mm lens. It is an excellent lens and is specifically designed for a crop sensor camera like yours. You don't need the 16-35 as it isn't any better and costs much more. The 17-40 mm suffers from distortion in the corners at the wide end.
I hope this helps .. Ron (organizer & Canon user)